We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barra/Melaque??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barra/Melaque??

Stayed a week in La Manzanilla on the beach and loved it. Thought we we try Barra or Melaque this year for a week. We really want to be on the beach since we are only here a week. I have looked into San Felipe and heard back from him very promptly several times (this is always nice when trying to finalize a trip). Barra Nan doesn't speak too highly of the SF though- why is that? Can you recommend other beach hotels in either town that are in the $70-80 US price range in convenient locations close to restaraunts etc? Also, Felipe said that cabs from ZLO to Melaque were 390 pesos from airport and 270 bacj to airport. Can anyone verify this for me. Trip is planned for late February. THanks for your help

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barra/Melaque??

Flying out of Minneapolis Saturday to ZLO and 2 weeks this year at Hotel Barra de Navidad. Were there for a week last year and liked it very much. 860 pesos a night ocean side right on the beach. Hotel is right across from the jardin (town square). Rooms are very basic but clean. Staff is very nice. We have had problems with them answering our emails but hear back eventually. Their english is very broken. Crashing waves which I love listening to. If you are a light sleeper they will at times wake you up at night. I like swimming in the waves, you may not. Melaque waves are alot gentler. Pool at the hotel is nice but nothing special. Nice view of the ocean and sunset from the rooms and pool. We like taking the city bus to Melaque and visiting but wouldn't want to stay there. We just like Barra much better.

Good luck and hope you enjoy Barra or Melaque.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barra/Melaque??

I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I don't speak highly of the Hotel San Felipe. There is nothing at all wrong with the San Felipe. It is a nice, clean, family run hotel with pool on the beach in the Villa Obregon part of Melaque. I had wedding clients who stayed there and liked it very much. What I meant to convey is that it is a basic hotel and not one of the fancier (and more expensive) properties in Melaque. If you are looking for something fancier then you might want to look at La Paloma, Camino del Mar or Ocean Village which are also all on the beach in the same area. I believe that Camino del Mar have some villas in your $70 to $80 US range. villascaminodelmar.com.mx/villascaminodelmar… Which of these places you would be more comfortable staying at depends entirely on what you are looking for.

Cabs are more expensive from the airport ($390 to Barra and Melaque at this writing) than they are to the airport because the airport is a Federal zone and there is a Federal fee/tax applied to all fares leaving Federal zones that does not apply to fares for drop offs in Federal zones.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Barra/Melaque??

Thanks so much for your response Barra Nan- I was afraid I had offended you or compromised your rep somehow. You are always so helpful to everyone on this forum that I certainly didn't want to do that.

We ended up booking at the San Felipe.We are pretty low maintanence people and actually what's really important to us is location (closer to the beach the better), view, a place to sit outside on a patio or veranda and cheap beers. It seemed like the SF fit that bill to us. My husband likes to stay at really small, kind of homey establishments.

I was wondering, are most cab drivers agreeable to stopping at a ATM on the way to Melaque from the airport. If not, am I correct to assume that if the cab ride is 390 P then I should figure the US would be about 30 and pay him accordingly in US?

Thanks to all! I will post review of SF when I return.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barra/Melaque??

If you like small homey establishments on the beach then the San Felipe will be perfect for you.

The cab drivers will stop at ATMs on the way out from the airport. There are two in Cihuatlan one at Banamex and one at Bancomer that they go right by if you tell them that you need an ATM. You need to purchase a ticket at the kiosk just outside of arrivals for your taxi ride from the airport so you will need money for that when you land.

There is a Casa de Cambio at the airport at arrivals and there is also an ATM in the airport over by departures.

5. Re: Barra/Melaque??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad