We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

Hi, Any ideas how to undertake this journey by bus? We will be staying in Zihua. Thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

Hi. I pulled a guidebook off the shelf. Zihua has 3 major bus terminals side-by-side. I'd take a taxi there, and figure it out on the spot. Reservations rarely needed other than during major holidays.

(Moon Pacific Mexico, way more details than I feel like typing.)

Happy travels.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

Hello,

I believe there is no direct bus route between these two places; all buses go via Guadalajara. This makes the trip pretty long.

I tried to find direct bus last February, but could not and changed my itinerary because of that.

I would be glad to know if there is a direct bus route so that I can visit both places on my next trip without paying for local flights or spending more than 12 hours on a bus ride.

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,603 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

Estrella Blanca has direct service. You might have to book to Manzanillo (8 hours and 800 pesos) and a 2nd ticket to Barra de Navidad or Melaque.

Edited: 7:47 pm, November 15, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Barra de Navidad
Barra de Navidad
Costalegre, Mexico
Melaque
Melaque
93 Reviews
Barra de Navidad, Mexico
Fort St. James...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus

Just took the bus trip from Zihuatanejo to Barra de Navidad. You leave at 8:00 pm from Zih on the Futura Busline and it goes directly to Melaque providing the roads aren't blocked, otherwise you have to go up to Guadalalajara and down. Arrived in Melaque at 6:20 am, no depot just dropped off on the street. Thank goodness a taxi drove by at the same time and took us to Barra. The trip was very exhausting as the road is windy and the bus had to slow down for all the speed bumps along the way. Hope this helps everyone....

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Barra de Navidad
Barra de Navidad
Costalegre, Mexico
Melaque
Melaque
93 Reviews
Barra de Navidad, Mexico
Reply to: Ixtapa/Zihua to Barra de Navidad by bus