We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tonantzintla Indian church

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ottawa
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
tonantzintla Indian church

would anybody have gone to this Indian church by public transport or tour from Puebla. If so how was it accomplished?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tonantzintla Indian church

I have done it twice. There is a bus that make a loop from CAPU, the huge main bus station to Cholula to (Santa Maria) Tonazintla to (San Francisco) Acatepec to (San Bernardino) Tlaxcalacingo through the west side of Puebla back to CAPU. For the bus, you do not go into the station. It's for longer distance buses. Unless there's been a change, you catch local buses in an open area adjacent to the west side of CAPU. (that to the left as you stand in front of CAPU.

The towns are called with and without the saints names.

Both times I used the bus for portions of the trip. On my first trip, during a 3 week stay in Puebla, I used a taxi to take me to a laundry I had used before. It was closed so we went back to the hotel to return my clothes, before going on to CAPU.

"Where are you taking a bus to?"

"Cholula."

"Look I'm going to charge you 35 pesos for ride so far and to CAPU. For a total of 50 I'll take you to Cholula and drop you of anywhere you want. The bus doesn't go to the centro."

Not only did he take me to Cholula, but when I asked him to stop on the outskirts of Puebla so that I could take a pictureof the valley in which Cholula sits with the dramatic backdrop of the 18,000 foot smoking volcano, Popcatepetl, the driver turn off the highway and drove to a better spot to take the picture. Then off to Cholula and I was dropped off at the central plaza.

Not knowing about the bus, after see some of Puebla, I took a taxi to Tonanzintla. On my second trip with a friend we were dropped off at the pyramid and spent a good deal of time walking around it before walking a few blocks tothe central plaza. I asked a taxi driver how much he'd charge to go to Tonanzintla. The price was high. We could have looked for the bus, but I walked up to another driver who had seen me talking to the first. He quote a reasonable price and off we went.

The peaceful atrio (front yard) of the Santa Maria, and pretty but somewhat plain façade gives no clue as to what awaits you inside. You should visit the Capilla del Rosario in the church of Santo Domingo in Puebla first. Both are done with the same technique. But the chapel in Puebla has an elegance to it and Tonanzintla has a folk art flavor.

On my first trip, I wasn't sure how to get to Acatepec. Some Americans told me that they had come in by bus that continued on to Acatepec. The pointed me in the direction of the bus stop. Tonazintla is very small. The stop is at a bend in the quiet highway that skirts it to the east. A bus was parked there. I got on and the ride to Acatepec was short. On my second trip, we decided to walk (about a mile) visiting a couple of country cemeteries along the way.

San Francisco Acatepec has an interior in the same style, but more restrained, as Tonanzintla, its a reproduction of the one destroyed in a fire. A benefactor paid to have it carefully restored. If Tonanzintla did not exist, the interior in Acatepec would be more famous than it is. However, what sets San Francisco Acatepec apart is the greatest use of tile on the exterior of a building that I have ever seen. On the second trip, someone took us up to the roof, which was wonderful.

A bus stops coming from Tonanzintla in front of the church in Acatepec. There one around every 20-30 minutes. It heads back to Puebla.

On my first trip, I told the driver I wanted to get off at San Bernardino Tlaxacalacingo. He stopped and pointed out the church which was next to the highway.

"The gate to the atrio looks like its locked."

"Go around to the far side. It will be opened."

He was right. The church isn't as good as the other two, but they are among the finest anywhere? San Bernardino is worth seeing if you have time and aren't churched out by then.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tonantzintla Indian church

Excellent report, larpman!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tonantzintla Indian church

more than one road to Rome, so to speak! I think I'll try the loop bus from CAPU. Thank you. Carolina

4. Re: tonantzintla Indian church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 11, 2009