We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

I will be traveling to Mexico City early November and is interested in doing an overnight trip in Puebla staying at la purificadora.

Can someone please advise what's the best way to travel between the two cities? I was told there is a bus (Estrella Roja???) that travel between the two cities, is this information correct?

Also, how do I get to the hotel once I get off the bus?

Many Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

You can get an Estrella Roja bus from the TAPO terminal (to the west of the city). Cost is 96 pesos (around 8 USD) and journey takes no more than 90 minutes. Buses are about every 40 minutes - see www.estrellaroja.com.mx for details.

I don't know Puebla bus station personally but usually there is a booth marked "Taxis" clearly visible. Go there, show your hotel address and then you will get charged a fixed rate and receive a ticket. Exit the building, go to the head of the taxi line and just hand over your ticket - no need to pay the driver anything.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

ADO Busline has buses leaving from TAPO just about every 15 minutes for Puebla. Unless they moved things since the last time I was in Mexico City, TAPO is on the east side of the city (not the west). (TAPO stands for Terminal de Autobuses para el Oriente... Terminal of Buses for the East.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

Yes, sorry, east not west! There are indeed other bus lines servicing Puebla - thanks for the correction.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

Estrella Roja also has first-class buses every half hour direct from Mexico City airport (both terminals) to Puebla. One will go to the big CAPU terminal in Puebla, where there's an official taxi booth where you pay, so there's no need to discuss the fare with the taxi driver; the next goes to the smaller terminal on Av.2 Poniente, closer to the center of town but with no official taxi booth, so you might need to haggle a bit over the taxi fare before you get in. I can't remember whether it's the ones that leave on the hour that go to CAPU and the ones on the half hour to 2 Poniente, or vice versa. Check the Estrella Roja website.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

Thank you all for the info, very helpful.

Follow up question: what are some of the attractions worth visiting in Puebla?

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
6. Re: Need Help traveling from Mexico City to Puebla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 22, 2010