We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need your expertise, please!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,469 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
I need your expertise, please!

I have clients needing to stay for a week in early July in Puebla, and I have not managed to get there yet, so have no knowledge of where they should stay that is close to shops, restaurants, etc. I will be flying them into MEX and arranging a rental car, but have no ideas on where they should stay.

I will be looking for any help you all can offer. Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I need your expertise, please!

KatD - Another good choice is Casa Reyna. It is owned by Angelica Moreno who also owns Talavera de la Reyna so the hotel is decorated with authentic Talavera as well has has a store in the hotel. The place is modern and refined but also small so you don't get the crowds or groups of tourists.

I have heard the food is very good as well but have not had the chance to try it myself.

http://www.casareyna.com/

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,469 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I need your expertise, please!

Thank you all! Now if the client would just return my calls.........

boston, ma
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I need your expertise, please!

Just back from 2 weeks working in Puebla and have been there on other occasions, including last July.I was there gathering and updating information on hotels and restaurants. Stayed at the Colonial in July and was entirely pleased. No problems with either temperature or insects of any kind. The hotel is particularly clean. Budget determines a lot of travel planning decisions and the Colonial is remarkable for the value if offers - the building is an historic beauty, well maintained, with an expansive roof terrace that scans the city, 360 degrees. Service and reception are warm, accommodating and attentive - and consistently so. Good breakfast in the morning before you take off for business or trips. Sometimes live music during dinner on weekends. No bar but wine, beer, drinks available with meals.

NH is a lovely hotel as well, new, minimalist design, gourmet restaurant, lovely rooftop bar/pool - Euro cool.

Both hotels are very well located. Colonial is one block around the corner from the Zocalo.

Generally I like Camino Real hotels but Puebla is the exception. I loved the wonderful Camino Real in Puerto Vallarta, now sadly Suenos and a true letdown since it is on possibly the best beach strip there. The Presidente up the road is the better now. The Oaxaca Camino Real remains a favorite as are many others across the country so it is a particular disappointment that Puebla's is so different - none of the care that has been standard in that chain. I had planned to bring a group there but chose not to and it was a a good decision. I am about to set up 2 more groups and wouldn't consider them for either. They do have good meeting spaces and are really well situated but that's not enough.

The Marriott is beautiful but less well located in terms of walking around the historic area directly from your hotel. If that's not a consideration, it's a good Marriott.

The Purificadora is a stunning boutique, stylish, minimalist, near the convention center and has a beautiful view of the city at night.Still part of the historic center. Knock out design.

Closer to historic center is the Sacristia de la Compania. I like the rooms there, small but not cells and beautifully decorated with great antiques. Their restaurant is outstanding. They may not have enough rooms for a group - I think they have about 8 rooms or so. Even a smallish group can eat up a dozen rooms between the singles and the staff.

July in Puebla can be a little wet, especially in afternoons, and even cooler than expected sometimes.

Restaurants are great here: El Mural in the city, La Cantina on Avenida Juarez, casona de los Angeles downtown, La Tecla, Sacristia de la Compania, Meson de Capuchines; Great desserts and coffee later at night on the zocalo at the cafe at Hotel Royalty; NH restaurant and many more great ones that I'm sorry to omit.

A trip to Cholula is a must. If they've never been to Mexico and are unlikely to be returning, a day trip to Teotihuacan is easy and affordable with the great new road. You can come in the back way and it takes 2 hours from Puebla Centro to the ruins.

I brought my own people up from Oaxaca but we also worked with 2 local outstanding agencies and a 3rd was recommended. I'll forward them if you are interested - don't have their cards present as I write. Good luck.

14. Re: I need your expertise, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 23, 2009