We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrips from Puebla?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puebla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrips from Puebla?

I'll be in Puebla for six days at the end of October and would like to know what day trips are recommended. Any place reachable by bus for a pleasant day trip from Puebla? Should I rent a car? I wouldn't mind taking the buses and I love all sorts of sites, shopping and history.

Thanks!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

The easiest daytrip from Puebla is to Cholula ... search this forum to read more about Cholula.

Don't rent a car unless you've traveled in Mexico before and you're aware of Mexican driving conventions, the traffic laws, insurance regulations, and all of the "unwritten rules" that govern Mexican driver behavior. Prior 3rd-world driving experience is also a plus...

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

I agree with last post. Cholula is a great place to visit. They have one of the largest pyramids in the world by volume, they have quaint downtown area, and a great market.

I also recommend Tlaxcala just a little over an hour. It is one of the smallest state capitols in Mexico with a population of 15,000 with some old town charm.

Cuernavaca and Taxco is just about 2 to 3 hours. Cuernavaca has a reputation as been the eternal spring city of Mexico, and Taxco is the silver capitol town of Mexico. Both places has its own charm. Cuernavaca can bost to have wonderful gardens and restaurants, while Taxco is a colonial town built up in the hills with lots of galleries, shopping, and wonderful market.

The best place you should visit is Mexico City just over 2 hours from Puebla. It has a bad reputation, but don't believe all the hype, just use common sence like I do when I go to Chicago or New York. I have never had a problem during the half a dozen visits I have done to this huge city, and I travel with my wife and kids. Mexico City has so much to offer, great museums, markets, parks like chapultepec and xochimilco, interesting hip neighborhoods like chapultepec, polanco and zona rosa, one of the largest zocalo/squares in the world only second to red square, great arquitecture & churches, Teotihuacan just an hour from the city, and some of the finest dining in the world (both fine and casual dining, and road stands).

Every other interesting city is going to be over 4 hours like Oaxaca 9-10hrs, Queretaro 5hrs, San Miguel de Allende 6hrs, Morelia 7hrs, Guanajuato City 7.5hrs, Xalapa I believe 6 hrs, Acapulco 7hrs.

Good luck!

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

I was in Puebla for 10 days last December and found that bus service to communities outside the city was just fine. Please be aware that not all the buses go from the "central" big bus terminal. Transport to Cholula, Tonantzintla, and Cacaxtla all left from different places, but I'm sure your hotel's staff can tell you where. I do recommend Cholula, also, and from there you can take another bus to see the astounding church at Tonantzintla; there were some good posts on this about a year ago here in Trip Advisor. Even if you don't care much for church architecture, be sure to take lots of film/camera capacity, as you may find that the incredible colors and decoration of buildings all over the area cause you to take more photos than you'd intended. Churches, other public buildings, and houses are painted in colors that made me feel my vocabulary was quite inadequate, many are also adorned with technicolor tile, and there seems to be an enthusiasm for domes on buildings large and small. The only drawback to bus travel was that in the villages we went through, I kept seeing something I wanted to photograph or look at more closely, but the bus rolled on...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I've decided to go to Cholula and possibly Taxco during my time in Puebla. I love silver and I would love see the pyramid, so they both sound very appealing.

Thanks again!

Haverford...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

Tepoztlan is about 2 1/2 hours from Puebla and is a great day trip. There was recently a huge article in Los Angeles Times Travel section on Tepoztlan-- trying googling it if your'e interested. There is a pyramid to hike up to, and a really great little local market. Definately worth the trip!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

sheriver, are there buses between Tepoztlan and Puebla? Or would you have to connect in Cuernavaca?

Haverford...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

I'm not sure, actually. I've driven the times I've gone. I drive through Cuatla, and there certainly buses from Tepoztlan to Cuautla, and there might be buses from Cuautla to Puebla. Does anyone know?

8. Re: Daytrips from Puebla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 13, 2009