We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 3 Days

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zacatecas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 3 Days

We will be spending about 3 full days in Zacatecas staying in

Downtown....please recommend me the must do things? We will

arrive a Wednesday around 3pm and leave Saturday around 1pm

We are willing to get up in the early hours to take advantage. We are interested in checking out some nightlife possibly Thursday & Friday night. Any recommendations?

Please Advise! =)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 3 Days

OK the great tourist route is the Mina del Eden to the Teleferico to the Bufa, then walk down or take the tel down. Then go to the Rafael Colonel Museum in the old S Franciscan convent, it is a good 2 hours of great museum and great atmosphere. Then go to dinner at Lucky Lucianos for an incredible Italian Mexican Feast. Then will be a Tamborazo, the follow along dancing tour of the centro. Maybe day 2 you may want to go to Jerez and then to La Quemada pyramid site. Day 3 just lounge around town, if you are interested the Pedro Colonel and Goitia museums are great, as is the Arroyo de la Plata Gallery, by Santo Domingo and the Cathedral, all worth your time.... you will get many recommendations for nightlife depending on your age and style. The myriad of cantinas are very local and full of artists .. Please feel free to pm me here at tripadvisor and I will be happy to help you and intro you! pw

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 3 Days

Thanks for your recommendations! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in 3 Days

Question...How far is La Quemada from downtown? Is there tours available?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in 3 Days

In Taxi its about 25 minutes. Once there they have a comprehensive movie with subtitles in English that describe the site and its mysteries... I will check on tours, not sure.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in 3 Days

OK you will be so proud of me, I scoped out a tour to La Quemada, done by travel agency Proyecta Aventura on Hidalgo 411 just next to Posada de la Moneda hotel. It leaves daily at 10 am, 380 pesos p/p, min 4 persons, goes first to La Quemada and then to Jerez. tour is in Spanish except aforementioned movie with English subs.

Now my young friend Aaron and I did this in reverse last September, we took the bus Zac to Jerez at 30 pesos each, walked downtown, toured around, then got a cabbie to take us to La Quemada, wait there and tour with us for about 2.5 hours then back to Zac all for $500 pesos total // so that's $560 for 2 with personalized door to door and timing that we wanted at the archeological site. Aaron has no Spanish and had no trouble grasping the essentials and awesomeness of the site... PM me if you need specific instructions or more help! pw

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in 3 Days

Addendum to last idea...you will have no problem with language in Jerez, a much larger percentage of the pop in J than in Zac is English speaking due to hereditary migrations and remigrations, in fact a Berkeley study I just read said that Robt Mondavi's first vineyard workers in late 1940's, 1950's were from a ranch outside Jerez, so now just go along the street or into the market and everybody esp. the kids speak to you in English. I find it a seductive and beautiful little town, really a mix of here and the otro lado, the other side. With a car I would recommend Sustitican and beyond or straight up into the Cerro de los Cardos. yeah, yeah I do love Zacatecas state!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in 3 Days

Thanks for the tour info! I know you mentioned La Quemada is 25 minutes away from Zacatecas. Do you happen to know how much is it for a cab from Zacatecas to La Quemada?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in 3 Days

probably about 250 pesos negotiable, but its in the middle of nowhere so you want one to wait for you unless you like to walk on hot 2 lane deserted highways and flag busses.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in 3 Days

I see, around how much time do you think we would need to see La Quemada?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in 3 Days

I think its a 1.5 to 2 hour deal ... tell me when you are coming and perhaps the archeological team who is English speaking can hook up, they are very nice. La Quemada and Chalchihuilces(sp) are both unusual sites, they were not directly linked to the southern sites. If you want more info pm me and I will get ahold of these arch guys, they are totally into it.

Get answers to your questions about Zacatecas