We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zacatecas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places on these boards, but I can't seem to find a forum for Real de Catorce, and I would like to know the best way to get there from Zacatecas.

Our ultimate goal is to get to Real, and I guess my choices are to stay in San Luis de Potosi or Zaca, and Zaca is my immediate choice! Does anyone know about direct bus service from there, or do I have to get to Real another way?

Thanks so much!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

you probably have to go thru San Luis Potosi, change there for Matehuala and from there to Real. Bus Zac to SLP - everybody says it takes 2 hours but I always end up spending 3-4 hrs on that silly bus because it stops for a break halfway...then SLP to Matehuala is 2 hrs, another hour to RdC. If you rent a car from Zacatecas you can head more directly to Matehuala which is the city closest to Real... how much time do you have?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

I have 3 weeks but part of the time I want to spend in Oaxaca and San Cristobal de las Casas. So, that gives me about 5 days to get FROM Mexico City TO Real and back. I guess I could bypass Zaca altogether and go straight to SanLuisdeP or Matahuela?? which might be a possibility...

Any advice??

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

Zacatecas is stunningly beautiful, with well preserved architecture and lots of stuff to do like the Mina del Eden, the Bufa and Teleferico, really cool art and history museums. San Luis is larger and flatter, although our historic center is great also and there is lots to do, street events etc, its more of an insider´s city I think...Matehuala is a little city, charming in the center in a puebla way, cute market, very nice people...its a trek to get into Real, you go thru a one way 2.4 km tunnel into the old mine and emerge into the city... it looks on the map like you could drive that back way from Zacatecas into Real but you probably need a 4x4. I think I would stay in Zacatecas, then leare early one am at 6 say, tour San Luis Potosi that day, at about 4 pm head up to Real or the next day - then you´d not miss anything and not deal with a monumental bus ride...Nice thing in Zac and SLP bus stations are very convenient to center, wow you guys have a great trip planned!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

I just was thinking Kimanjo, this is my region and I know some hotel and tourism people who might want to hook you up with ranch or some better deals - contact me in messages here...p

Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

Hi! I was having the exact same problem that you had!!! I'm going on a trip to Zacatecas, San luis, Guanajuato and San Miguel, I wanted to know which of this cities is the nearest to Real? and how far? Can we do it in a one day trip?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

I think you have to go thru San Luis Potosi to Matehuala. There may be a 2nd class bus way to go the other way around but it eludes me... If you are in Zacatecas there is an ODM bus to SLP, then a Noreste to Matehuala, and then you connect to Real de Catorce. Just some waits. Might want to check out Matehuala which is surprisingly charming, the Capri Hotel is a fav of mine

As you may know winter is not the time most people want to go to R de 14, so service is limited....its FREEZING there, OK to nice during the day but you have to stay overnite and you will freeze your bejesus off - v romantic if you want a room with a fire - just make sure it works!! Cold now in Zac also - if you want contact me thru this forum and I will be happy to make some calls 4 you - (I live in San Luis and work also in Zacatecas)

let me know!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

OK was not reading your message thoroughly - Real de 14 from SLP is at least a 1.5- 2 day thing in my opinion - you have to get up to Matehuala, like 2 hrs in car, 3 in bus, then get and go thru the tunnel at Real- there is a wait as it is one way... then you have to figure out how you are gonna navigate around town -- one idea is to stay in Matehuala and do Rd14 as a day thing or go over there and stay for the night, hotels in Real are more pricey but more pictaresque but very very COLD..., you can rent horses or a Willey Jeep and get the full picture. Its tons of fun and not like anywhere else, you get way out in the desert, its quiet and yet great weirdly Italian pizza in freezing cold Huichol territory.

San Luis to Zacatecas in my opinion too is a possible day thing but then you are not doing either of them justice - better to go to Zac. for a day or 2 including perhaps Jerez (30 mins out) ... then do SLP for a day or 2, then go to Rde14... hey we all need lots of time!!! but really there is lots of driving and you want to have time to see the sights... Saludos, pw

Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

Pw, thanks for your quick answer, you have been of great help! I'm going on July so I think it wont be that cold... I have like 10 nights to visit: Zac, SLP, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato a,d Morelia...

Any suggestions???

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

Hi sptl,

All the cities you mentioned that you want to visit are wonderful and have lots to see and do. I'm not sure that two days in each place, in addition to the time you will spend in transit, is enough to really enjoy each city.

If you decide to come to Guanajuato on your trip, please feel free to ask questions. I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

10. Re: Bus service from Zacatecas to Real de Catorce?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Zacatecas