We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I like it so much I might even move here.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
I like it so much I might even move here.

I'm over at Eugenio's about six blocks from the cathedral. After strolling around for a few days I can tell that I'd enjoy living here. The people would be roughly equivalent to the people in small mid-west cities in the States. In my admittedly limited contact I can tell that it doesn't even occur to most of them to be dishonest in business transactions. At the San Jose market folks went out of their way to point out that I'd over- paid. I haven't felt any kind of predatory vibe whatsoever. I know plenty of bad stuff happens and I've been around the block a time or two so my antenna is pretty well tuned up. These people are so decent and it's a modern place with some sharp go-getters, but always polite.

I wanna check out how much it'd cost me to rent an apartment long term in a neighborhood around here where I wouldn't need a car. Eugenio is a true gentleman in the finest Mexican tradition. He was kind enough to refer me to some realtors but they aren't going to be interested in my type of business..I don't reckon. They specialize in sales and luxury tourist apartments. Can you guys advise me how to begin my inquiries and very roughly how much a middle class place might run?

Edited: 5:17 pm, January 25, 2013
Guadalupe Sanctuary
Sacred & Religious Sites
Centro Historico de Morelia
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Neighborhoods
The Aqueduct
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Victoria, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: I like it so much I might even move here.

If you do a search in spanish you are likely to find affordable accommodation. Morelia is a beautiful city indeed, I go shopping there at least once a month. Try "se renta en Morelia"

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I like it so much I might even move here.

That was an excellent suggestion ckhdah,

I saw some good leads, many of them by owner private listings with many many amenities including furniture, internet, cleaning and laundry. They are priced at about what I am hoping to pay. That's a pretty darn good site.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I like it so much I might even move here.

What site was that?

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I like it so much I might even move here.

I'm sorry these links are not "hot" but I've been having technical difficulties with my log-ins of late. They are in Spanish but maybe you already read it. You'll need to set parameters in which you specify Mexico, Morelia Michoacan, # of rooms "ambientes", etc. Since the original posts I've continued to look on a regular basis and I've noticed that there isn't much change in the listings in the sense that the ones available now are the same ones that were available when I was there. I infer that the market is slow in Morelia and that there isn't any fierce competition to get the desirable digs. I've noticed that when the listings are on the market for many days that the owners or their agents will withdraw the listing only to re-post it the next day as a new listing. I regard this as a little trick played on the public because the listings tell you how many days the property has been posted. An unsuspecting searcher might want to move quicker if he or she thinks it's a hot new listing and be willing to pay the asking price. Those sites offer a map click but be cautious. Vivastreet, I think, shows the same location for every property.

The Centro Historico is many square blocks of a quite walkable jaunt where the air pollution is markedly less than down low where the modern Camelinas section is. I'd need to have a car anywhere in town except in the Centro and I prefer a place like New York or San Francisco where neighborhoods have everything you want on a daily basis. The town has a Costco, Walmart, the newest cell phones, and every modern convenience. The type of Spanish spoken in Morelia is, for my ears at least, more enjoyable than that spoken farther North within the country. Likewise their music is quietly enchanting without blasting trumpets. The main street of the Centro runs past the Cathedral and is chock full of traffic but one Sunday I walked down that way and the street was closed so that kids could ride their trikes, bikes and scooters without fear.

What a joy.

vastreet.com

trovit.com

zonaprop.com

Oops, they are hot. Well, well.

Edited: 7:38 am, March 23, 2013
5. Re: I like it so much I might even move here.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Morelia