We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health concerns

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Health concerns

I am all set to arrive Morelia on January 23rd. on a previous visit to Acapulco I became quite sick, having the usual symptoms one associates with drinking the water. Last month I spent time in Nicaragua at sea level and positively thrived on the bursting with flavor food and potable water but have gotten seriously ill from something I imbibed in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Can anyone tell me if gringos are particulalry susceptible to the food and water in Morelia and environs and if so, what precautions are called for?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health concerns

Drink only bottled water. Beyond that I eat most everything & everywhere.

Watch the intake of liquor.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Health concerns

Lots of precautions, search the site & google. It depends on you, your system. I eat tons of yogurt and take acidopholis, never sick here or Bolivia. Take along remedies, pepto etc., drink bottled water as peddler says, take it easy the first days. My MX friends get sick in USA for a few days, its the change of diet that makes the mild sickness, food poisoning is something else and you should go to the hospital. Really you know the difference. Also the altitude, you are from Miami and its different higher up.

I guess Peddler we are lucky!

northampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Health concerns

Thanks for these suggestions.

I have some additional questions, that may seem obvious.

Besides bottled water, do I need to worry about eating rice boiled in water?

Do I need to peel the fruit? Or do I rinse it with bottled water?

I am in good health, but do have a chronic condition and my doctor is a little worried-in the general sense. Any details folks don't mind sharing for one as uninitiated as myself.

Thanks,

K

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health concerns

Yes peel or wash in preventive soak all fruits & veggies especially lettuce.

I've only been sick twice in Mexico once when I absent minded ate a unpeeled cucumber slice that was garnish on an appetizer & a wedge of lettuce I improperly prepared,

That's it in 26 years.

PS I always cook with bottled water especially coffee.

Edited: 9:40 pm, January 17, 2013
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health concerns

The drinking water is normally not the problem - sea water or even swimming pool water is far more likely.

northampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Health concerns

Thanks for all these tips.

Peddler665, Any suggestions on the type of preventive soap. Another friend suggested that, but didn't know the name.

One other health related question.

I have my Hep A shot and see Hep B isn't necessary. But the CDC recommends Typhoid shot and d then bug spray to protect against Malaria.

Are either of those really necessary in the Monarch reserve area or Morelia?

Thanks,

K

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health concerns

Malaria isn't an issue (not been a malaria death anywhere in Mexico for over 20 years), typhoid crops up about once every 10 years in a few isolated places. Personally I wouldn't worry about typhoid but it's your decision.

northampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Health concerns

Thanks for the info. Good to know the reality. I didn't think it was, but figured I'd just ask. Seems the CDC is extra careful.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health concerns

Steve FYI information I personally know 3 people who came down with typhoid in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo last Winter. Two responded well to treatment the third did not.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health concerns

peddler - yes, it certainly happens. There was an epidemic in San Miguel a few years back too. It comes from the water I believe.

Get answers to your questions about Morelia