We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

I have been remiss! In November, my partner and I traveled to Morelia in Michoacan to take a full day trip to the monarch butterfly sanctuary of El Rosario. We were twice blessed. First, we had the PERFECT weather day. Cloudless. Sunny. A gift from the goddesses and gods. Secondly, we had an excellent guide. Luis Miguel Lopez Alanis (<mexmich@prodigy.net.mx>) is a teacher, philosopher, historian and journalist. He speaks fluent English. He may not be "tall, dark and handsome" but he is tremendously attractive. He is a story-teller. He is sensitive and knowledgeable. He is, understandably, proud of his country and his culture. We found our day with him to be wonderfully memorable. I cannot recommend him highly enough. He created an ideal experience. We are immensely grateful to him. Gracias Amigo.

Guadalupe Sanctuary
Sacred & Religious Sites
Centro Historico de Morelia
Historic Walking Areas, Historic Sites, Neighborhoods
The Aqueduct
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

Lina, you may be the person I need to speak to the most. I have a trip planned with Luis Miguel for February, however I have serious concerns about the safety arriving in Mexico City. The drive to Morelia, and then once we are there. I think Luis Miguel is great, and my concerns are not with him. Can you share with me how you got their and any safety issues you observed or experienced. Thank you. The US Trave Advisory for Michoacan is very dismal and its making me reconsider my trip. Thanks again!

Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

Hi Stamrs,

I don't feel confident that I can be of help to you. We flew to Leon and drove from there to San Miguel with friends. Then we hired a driver to take us to Morelia. The trip took about 3 hours I think. It was an easy drive for us. We had no feelings of fear in Morelia or anywhere else in Mexico. I am not familiar with the current events in Michoacan. If there are travel warnings I can only suggest you follow your gut and do what feels best for you and your family. Good luck!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

I think the Mexico City portion of your trip would be reasonably safe, as long as you arrive in the daytime. You're always safe inside the airport. The airport taxi service to the bus station is reliable. The bus to Morelia is quite safe. The biggest risk here is the rare incidence of theft in the bus station, which you can mitigate if you're aware of your surroundings and don't flash money around.

There are also flights from Mexico City to Morelia, if you don't feel confident that you could navigate the bus system. If you didn't book your tickets yet, you could even get a direct flight to Morelia from the US.

4. Re: Monarch butterfly guide-extraordinaire, Luis Miguel Alanis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 16, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now