We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

I heard car rental companies.bad stories from another traveler, who told me they always find something to over charge you. We select Hertz for its reputation but still got ripped of.

They said a tiny dent on windshield is from our trip. When we picked up car we did check through body and took some photos, but did not think about checking Windows. Even we check I don't think I would notice it since it is so small. Now became we did not mark it when pick up then we do not have an evidence to clear ourself.. We know we did not get this dent. They charge us a full price to replace the windshield glass. I really believe they will not replace glass but use this tiny spot, money machine, to continually do the same thing to other customers.

Any suggestion to get them taken consequence?

23 replies to this topic
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
327 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

Sorry to hear your bad experience, Ann. Wonder from which Hertz location did you rent? We are going to Baja soon and would want to avoid this office!

Have you tried taking this matter to Hertz up the ladder? Best luck!!!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
942 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

The windshield scam is pretty common. Check out how many broken or chipped windshields there are here.

Sounds like your were diligent but they got you on this one. Lesson learned, as they say.

In PR I rented a very dented car once. I pointed out the damage to the agent. He laughe and told me to look at all of the cars, "Sir, EVERY car in PR has dents!"

The same can be said for auto glass in Cabo.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

If I knew I did not do it, I would dispute it with my credit card company.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,635 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

Lots of chatter on this site about car rentals. You said you chose Hertz for its reputation. The Hertz at the SJD airport in San Jose does NOT have a good one.

Hertz and the other well know names are NOT affiliated with the USA companies. They are all Mexican franchises.

Most of the regulars to Cabo rent from 1. Alamo 2. BBB 3. Cactus 4. Dominicloscabos.com

All the others you are taking a chance. Book early to get best prices and selection of vehicles. Always have price quotes to include All Insurance and Taxes.

Edited: 8:32 pm, December 31, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

Thanks for your advise. I wish I knew it early.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,635 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

Ann H ... Thanks for your post. It will help others !!!

Azusa, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

Any comments on Thrifty in SJD? Just curious, I will change to Alamo based on your comments.

Also, I am just buying Third party liability, I believe that's all I need beyond credit card coverage (Amex), comments?

Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

All anyone has to do is save all documentation and dispute with credit card. I always use my AMEX platinum card when I rent in Mexico. They always try to charge me for extra optional products. I always print out the rental location policies and point out that in their own policy it states XX is optional and then dispute it when I get back. Every single time I have won the dispute and pay only what my original confirmation states. Actually almost every-time the rental car company never even responds to AMEX.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

I have used Thrifty with no bad result. Alamo has been good as well as BBB.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience

I've used Alamo and BBB with no problems, and if I just want to pick something up in town for a day or two, Payless on Hotel Road also provides excellent service. They even deliver the car to you.

Reply to: Be careful those car rental company, my bad experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo