We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

We are going to be staying in San Jose del Cabo next February and are trying to decide between these two places. We usually stay at our time share in Cabo at Sunset Beach but wanted to try something a little different. I have heard that Sandals is not as close to town as the Grand Mayan but that is all I really know about the two. Can anyone give me some input as to their experiences or preferences? I would be so grateful!

Thanks!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

I think you mean Secrets Marquis.

I can't say first hand, but I suspect Secrets may be a step above the Grand Mayan, although both are lovely resords. Are you looking for an all inclusive specifically?

There are so many great restaurants in San Jose, I would opt for a non-AI resort, but that's just my preference.

You are correct re: location. In fact, I think Secrets is closer to Cabo than to San Jose. So if you are wanting the convenience of walking into town for the Saturday Craft Market, or Thursday Art Walk, then the Grand Mayan would be best.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Good advice Pantix. However, so you know, Secrets Marquis is much closer to San Jose than to Cabo San Lucas.

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Secrets is closer to walking to center of San Jose than Grand Mayan? Do you know if either is AI?

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Yes, Pantix, we want to be able to walk to those things so Grand Mayan is closer? Do you know if they are AI? We prefer not to opt in for that, if we have the option.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Banaltra, no the Grand Mayan is closer to San Jose del Cabo than Secrets. I said that Secrets was closer to San Jose del Cabo than to Cabo San Lucas. Secrets is AI. Grand Mayan is not.

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Got it, Eljefe. Thank you so much for your input. You helped me to decide and the Grand Mayan it is!! It is where I want to be and I do not want AI. I really appreciate your help with this!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

We loved our stay at the Grand Mayan. Our 1-BR unit was huge, with plenty of bathroom space, comfy bed, spacious living room and dining area and a pretty decent kitchen with stovetop, microwave and fridge large enough to hold lunch and breakfast goods for a week. The plunge pool on the balcony was a nice plus, and the huge pool complex by the beach (with swimup bar) was our home for a good part of the day.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there!

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Thank you so much for this information! It helps to have feedback from someone who g

Has stayed there.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Thanks for clarifying Eljefe. Never been really good with distances.

Secrets is approx. 21 km from Cabo, and 12 km San Jose town square.

You'll have a grand time at the Grand Mayan. :-)

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Marquis vs Grand Mayan

Thanks for your help. too, Pantix. This has all been so very helpful. I know it will be a great trip and even better stay at the Grand Mayan!