We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

How bad are the mosquitoes likely to be end of February/beginning of March? Staying at the Holiday Inn Resort San Jose del Cabo. I am unfortunately highly attractive to mosquitoes...any suggestions for room location, places to avoid (ha, like the estuary!) Just trying to come prepared as the buggers have nearly ruined holidays for me in the past with some bad reactions to bites etc. Thanks in advance for any info or advice :)

12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

We stayed there in mid March last year and as i recall there arn't any.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

They should be going away, but I'd take some spray or something just in case-as you will be right next to the estuary..........hopefully An2Jo2 will see this, as she has a product she recommends for mozzies!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

As I consider the resort my other better home and the staff my other way better relatives and have stayed there every month of the year at some point over the last 31 years I can tell you generally the only months that have a mosquito issue are late July thru mid October. But.......this year has been different there has been more rain than usual and when I was there in late Dec and Jan there were mosquitos. I understand your concern because I too have very severe reactions to the bites and I swear they wait to feed till I get there! I don't want to avoid any area when I am down there and having had one very bad experience with the bites that required a doctors care I now take these precautions. I bring OFF bug repellent with Deet in it the one I get is 'smooth & dry" it isn't greasy or oily and doesn't smell bad and best of all it works! When I am down there I don't use much perfume it seems to attract them, Also I go to the pharmicia and get some Celestamine NS and FastAid Plus. Celestamine for the effects of the bite and FastAid for the itch and pain. I have found the medicine works wonderfully (better than Benadryl) and the bug spray I bring with me works better than anything I can find in Mexico. The little buggers seem to only be out in the evening so you may want to were long pants or jeans at night. Hope that helps.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

Hi,I just returned two days ago and reporting that we did not experience any mosquitos. There are lots of mammoth sized moths, but they just buzz around! Have fun.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

We're also just back - our room was in Bldg 1 facing adult pool & estuary - never saw a single mosquito all week - we found a cricket in our room (open balcony door) and as rokkkln said lots of very pretty moths but no other bugs

6. Re: Mosquitoes in Feb/March? (Staying at HI San Jose del Cabo)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 24, 2014