We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

Three of us are going on a girls trip to Melia Cabo Real in a few weeks. Are there loungers on the beach or are the pictures part of the Hilton? One person stated that they rented beach chairs and an umbrella for $10-I have never had to do this at a resort before.

I f we rent a Bali bed by the pool is there enough room around them to pull up a lounger (Is this allowed?) or would it be too crammed for 3 of us to share the Bali bed space.

Lastly, can we rent horses right there for a sunset ride or do we need to go elsewhere? Thanks.

Olds, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

I have never rented the Bali beds but yes they are larger and only a few of the beds have room to pull up a lounger, I have seen it done though. The bed may be tight for 3.

There are some chairs and umbrellas down on the beach for melia guests, they are older than the chairs by the pool and they are back a ways from the water.

Just beyond the beach chairs is where you can get horses for a horseback ride. Members of our group did the sunset ride and the guide and the horses where excellent.

While there check out the asian ala carte, it was very good.

Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

Thanks so much! The resort is full one of the nights we are going (must be a convention) so I thought the Bali bed may be a stress reducer-Did you notice if beach chairs fill up like the pool loungers do? Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

Hi windyoregon,

There are indeed "free" lounger chairs under thatched roof palapas down at the beach. This area sits a bit of a way back from the water's edge, but still provides a nice quiet spot to relax. This area sits within a roped off area that is signed stating it is an area for Melia customers only and no vendors should come within the roped off area where these loungers sit.

If you look at the aerial picture of the Melia in this link, you'll see these palapa umbrellas on the beach, this is where the loungers are (you may need to click on the photo tab): bookit.com/mexico/…

If you want to sit closer to the water's edge, you can rent a chair and umbrella from the jet ski hut down at the water. We've heard that some pay $10 and others have paid $5....it's Mexico, most things are negotiable. There's also a little shaded shelter/hut in the cove off to the side by the rocks, and you can park your lounge chair under that if you rent. I choose to just sit on the sand on my towel, but I use the "free" shade that this hut provides on the sand in front of it.

Bali beds. I think they are $20/$25 day and even though it's all inclusive, the Melia's beer is Corona on tap, if you get a bali-bed, they provide you with a cooler and ice all day with canned beer, and they hussle to you more often to service you with pool service drinks. I believe if you rent the bed more often, there is a break in the price for multiple days. I think the bed would be too crammed for 3 people to share it, but there's most certainly nothing wrong with the 3rd person pulling their lounge chair up beside it, no problem at all with that, everyone does it. One of the most helpful people around the pool in terms of the lounge chairs, small tables (few and far between), umbrellas, etc. is Daniel, very, very helpful, look out for him if you need any help.

The horses go back and forth occassionally during the day and in the late afternoon up and down the Melia beach, we've never done it, but I'm sure if you ask at the front desk they could tell you. Perhaps even if you see them along the beach you could chat with the guy. Along the one side of the Melia, runs the golf course, Cabo Real. And there is a long path that runs up to the cobblestone driveway of the Melia, and this is the path where the horses are coming from. If you walk up this path, alongside the golf course, you can follow the golf course cart path just across the cobblestone drive, and just under the road underpass (this is all very safe, easily walked, and followed) is an area where they keep the horses. We golfed at this golf course next door many times, and we always pass the horses off to the side. Otherwise, just off the lobby bar, in the hallway down by the pool table and theatre, is an excursion desk where they can arrange horseback riding for you, but I'm sure you may pay a premium with them then if you just struck a deal by talking to someone on the beach if you see them walking by with the horses.

Have a great time :-) It's a great place!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

Beach chairs NEVER fill up like the pool chairs do.

If it's a covention, you may be okay in terms of people not hoarding your space, depending on their schedule.

When we were there in January, there was a convention there for 2 days which maxed out capacity and we never saw these people during the day. They had meetings and lunch in the convention space off to the side/front of the hotel and we never saw them out and about until their last day and they were such a large group that when they came down to the pool area, they all went down to the beach for a hour or two and then they were gone.

If there is not a convention and the hotel is just at max capacity, then I would definately suggest getting a Bali-Bed, or be crazy like me (although I'm used to getting up early everyday anyways) and go down to the pool at 6:30am/7am/7:30am to claim your loungers. I actually loved the mornings being one of the first down there as I would grab a coffee at the poolside restaurant, watch the sunrise, read my kobo, and chat with the pool cleaner, Manuel about his family life in San Jose :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

Thanks, Super informative! Can't wait, 16 more sleeps!

6. Re: Bali beds, loungers and horseback riding Melia Cabo Real

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 10, 2014