We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Safe???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Safe???

Is it safe to drive a rental car San Jose Del Cabo? I hear stories of being pulled over by corrupt cops!!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Safe???

It's safe, but that can happen. Wear your seat belts-use caution! We were pulled over in La Paz a few years ago-early Dec.-didn't have seat belts on-cost about $20-and I would guess that the family had a little better Christmas.

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Safe???

Thanks.

Can you recommend places for us to venture with a car? Perhaps a beach where we can actually go swimming IN the ocean???

Also, does anyone know anything about parking outside of the hotel?

This is our first trip to San Jose Del Cabo and we know nothing but what we've read here!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Safe???

I highly recommend the day trip to Todos Santos and lunch at the Cafe Santa Fe! Some nice shopping, quaint little town, and the food at Sante Fe is fantastic!!!!! (closted Tues) Also, San Jose is great to wander about! Charming-lovely shopping, most pleasant! Sorry-don't know about parking at hotels other that the two resorts we use. Medano Beach is highly recommended for swimming, but as I am a pool person, I have no personal favorites. You will have a great time! It's a great vacation spot!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Safe???

I have rented a car the last 10 trips or so with no problems. I give them no reason to pull me over, no speeding, no drinking and I don't drive at 3 a.m. so that I'm the only one on the road. Lately I have been prebooking at Advantage.com to get the best rates. You will need to buy Mexican insurance when you get there which will about double your rate. A compact with a/c will run about $40/day with insurance.

If you are staying in San Jose del Cabo the closest swimming beach with services is Chileno. It is about half way to Cabo San Lucas and has a large parking lot. This beach is the favorite of locals and can get busy on the weekends. You can rent snorkle equipment, get a drink or a snack but there are no beachfront restaurants here. There are not alot of vendors here so you will not be bothered much. If you snorkle bring some chips or crackers to attract the fish.

Another option is to drive all the way into Cabo and visit Medano beach. This is the main swimming beach that has the beach front restaurants: The Office and Billigians. You can get a table on the sand have lunch, drinks and enjoy the beach. This is where alot of vendors are and they will try to sell to you all day.

What I have done a couple of times when I stayed at my friends house in Cabo is driven over to the Melia San Lucas and use their pool. Go to the front desk and ask if it is ok to use their pool and buy some drinks, I believe that happy hour in the pool is 2 - 3 or 3 - 4. The pool is right on Medano beach so you can have access to it without the vendors when you return to the pool.

If you are going in the near future having a swimming beach may not be an issue as the ocean water is too cold for my taste this time of year about 70 degrees or so, I prefer about 85 or more. Maybe that is why KatD stays in the pool.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Safe???

nope-just not an ocean swimmer any more-too old and too lazy.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
118 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Safe???

Craig really covered many things well. Would just add that Chilleno beach is beautiful. Took us over an hour to find it on Monday of this week because there is absolutely no signage. Best way I can describe it is immediately west of the entrance to the Cabo San Lucas Hotel. The entrance is on the south side of the highway so you have to be in the east bound lanes to access it. Right before the entrance you'll see a large, fenced, parking area. The entrance is a dirt road that goes rather steeply to the west.

Good luck and have fun!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Safe???

Just watch your p's and q's...stay off the road after dark and do not drink and drive. Remember when you put your left turn signal on this means that the car behind you can safely pass...if you want to make a left turn, pull off to the right and then cross traffic when you can see in both directions. Stay on the busy streets and do not go off road or back in the jungle. I have never had any trouble driving in Mexico but I am darned careful to obey ALL rules as you do not want to get arrested in another country. You will want a car but if it is going to be a late night - CAB it!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Safe???

Thanks for the turn signal info!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Safe???

There's a local newspaper in Cabo called the Gringo Gazette and I believe, but am not sure, that their website is www.gringogazette.com. Anyway they have a printed document in English and Spanish that you can put on the dashboard of your car which notifies the police that you are aware of the laws in Cabo and that they can not accept money or take away your license. Instead, you should follow them to the Police station.

Recommend caution when driving on the four-lane. The traffic lights are not synchronized and sadly, there are many many accidents. Even the locals are often reluctant to drive at night.

As far as insurance, most gold cards (Amex/Visa/Mastercard) provide complimentary car rental insurance. Check with your credit card company before you leave.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Safe???

Oh and also, if someone flashes their head lights at you, it simply means that they are intending to pass you.