We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Hello, my husband will be at the Hilton for our 1st anniversary. We'd like to go out of the hotel for a romantic, special dinner. Preferably one of the luxury hotels or even somewhere in SJC. Are looking at the Capella hotel and a few restaurants in town. Am assuming the hotel prices will be very high but worth it if a great dinner. Looking for great atmosphere nad food. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

A luxury hotel right by the Hilton is Las Ventanas. I'm pretty sure you are able to book dinner as an outside guest even if you are not staying at the hotel. I believe that either the Hilton or Las Ventans will shuttle you via a golf cart via the interior cobblestone road that connects the two hotels entrances (with the Melia Cabo Real sitting in between them). Here's their website: rosewoodhotels.com/en/…

You may spot a celeb or two while you are there as many vacation there.

Another spot, not in San Jose or at a luxury hotel, it's closer to Cabo, is Sunset Mona Lisa. Here's their website: http://sunsetmonalisa.com/cms/

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Manuel's Creative Cuisine at the Shoppes at Palmilla for the BEST food in Los Cabos (chef Manuel has cooked birthday dinners for the senior President Bush). Meson Del Angel in San Jose is not far behind in quality -- lovely ambience and Alberto's mojitos are legendary!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Thank you both for your suggestions. We are plannign to go to Las Ventanas if even for a cocktail one day. But the other suggestions are great too. Thank you.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Agua at the One and Only Palmilla would also be an option:

…oneandonlyresorts.com/cuisine/agua.aspx

But for a smaller more intimate setting on the ocean, we also love 7 Seas at Cabo Surf Hotel:

cabosurfhotel.com/indulge-yourself/7-seas-se…

Finally, if you are looking for something a little more lively with live jazz music, Don Sanchez has completely renovated it's former space into a luxurious outdoor sunken courtyard. The food is also excellent there.

http://www.donsanchezrestaurant.com/

http://www.facebook.com/donsanchez.loscabos

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Pantix, thanks for posting the information about Don Sanchez restaurant (no longer cantina, eh?). I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done. It looks quite extensive. Might have to swing by on tequila Tuesday!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Yep! The upstairs is now a "Retro-Burger Bar" / sports bar / live music until 3:00 on weekends I believe.

At ground level through the main door of Don Sanchez is a very grand wine shop - very nice selections. Then through that, there is a grand outdoor staircase overlooking a courtyard below, tucked in under a large palapa, with a beautiful open sky space beyond that. Fountains, fire features, very beautifully decorated (i.e. no expense spared). Food was amazing! Service was outstanding. And the live Jazz band was excellent. Very talented indeed. There is a large dance floor in the center..

I'll definitely return.

Edited: 5:10 pm, November 12, 2012
Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Excellent. That whole space was used, nicely I might add, when Chef's Table was there. The upstairs was just their taqueria. Glad to see that they are doing well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Then would you suggest Don Sanchez over Meson del Angel?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

Meson Del Angel is far superior for food and a romantic ambience. But Don Sanchez would be a good place for partying, dancing and enjoying a tequila flight after dinner.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: special restaurant suggestion - hotels and in SJC

I've not been to Mason del Angel but with the reviews it gets you can't go wrong. People love it there.

The new Don Sanchez is a different concept than it's previous self both in terms of venue and menu. It had it's grand opening just last week. I noticed that someone has posted recent pictures of it on the Restaurant Review. So, you can check it out there.

Edited: 2:44 am, November 14, 2012