We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

presidente vs riu

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
burnsville minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
presidente vs riu

We are planning our trip in May 2006 and were wondering if anyone can compare these to all inclusive resorts. Food, accomodations, location ect. Any feedback would be helpful before we book. Thanks

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: presidente vs riu

As a long time Presidente... fan I think there is no comparison, unless you want to consider the fact that the RIU is newer. The staff at the Presidente are incredible, the GM is most unusual in as much as he truly cares about the guests and is very hands on in his management style as well as being very visible and available to the guests if there is a situation needing his attention, the location is fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and the food is good from the buffets (except the oriental one) to the El Patio, Fruita de Floras, Napa, La Terreza, El Caribeno even the snack bars are good.

The only down side for some people is it really isn't a big party place, but believe me you can have a great time and make your own party we do everytime we go. Across the street from the hotel you can get horses ATV's and bikes, an estuary on one side of the hotel and a 15-20 minute walk into San Jose.

These are just a few of the reasons we keep going back to the Presidente time after time.

We have tried a couple of other places due to arriving earlier than originally planned or doing a spur of the moment trip but we always end up back at the Presidente!

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: presidente vs riu

Haven't been to the Rio, but would definitely repeat the Presidente. It was so beautiful. The staff was so very nice, and it was such a peaceful place. Not sure what your criteria are, but if you are looking for a quiet place with a gorgeous view, attentive service, good food (the afternoon chips and delicious fresh salsa poolside are a daily treat - yum!) Happy to share more details, if know a bit more about what you're looking for. At the end of our trip, actually weathered a hurricane there, and I've nothing but good things to say about how the kind staff at the Presidente handled the whole situation (there was a language barrier, but can't be helped...I need to learn more Spanish :-)

burnsville minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: presidente vs riu

Thank you so much for your input. I are looking for a quiet resort and it looks like this might be a good bet based on your reply. I would like to hear more about your experience there.

Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: presidente vs riu

Kit,

I have been to both and El Presidente gets my vote hands down too! One other down side not mentioned about the el presidente is the distance to Cabo. This resort is on the far end of the cape away from downtown Cabo San Lucas. You need to add about a half an hour to any activities you might be doing in Cabo for transportation reasons. Other than that, food and staff are far and away better at the Presidente. I'll not return to the RIU, the El Presidente I would go back to in a minute.

Hasta,

F4B

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: presidente vs riu

Be happy to. The rooms are nice...stayed in a ground floor (has a covered patio, hammock). The second floor rooms don't have windows that open, and the top (third) floor rooms have nice balconies. I'd request ground floor or top floor ahead of time. No guarantees, but they are accomodating. There are three pools...we spent most of our time at the largest one, with a swim up area for beverages, etc. Easy access to beach. There are beach vendors, but they stay at a distance, and are very nice. Had some fun silver bracelets, etc. The beach is beautiful, but not a swimmable one. There are baby sea turtle preserves around (the caregivers there let us release some hatchlings into the sea one day...it was amazing!) The grounds are very nice. For dining you'll have several options...would recommend reserving yourself a spot for the evening meal. All-inclusive was such a great way to go, imho. It's easy to taxi into Cabo San Lucas (loved Mi Casa for a meal) from there, and we even walked to San Jose one day for shopping (just don't make the trek in flip flops - live and learn! :-) They have planners on site for snorkel trips, etc. Took a sunset cruise around the Arch one nite (on the Oceanus) and loved it. Hope this info helps...have fun on your trip!

burnsville minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: presidente vs riu

Thanks so much for your input. I think we will stay at the Presidente. We are really excited about our trip and will take your advice and maybe take a sunset cruise. I don't mind that the resort isn't close to town, were just looking for relaxation. But I do have another question, how much is a cab ride to town and is it walking distance. One of the other posts said about a 15-20 minute walk.

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: presidente vs riu

When you say town, if you mean San Jose, then yes, it's walking distance (not a short walk, but did walk it, and it was fine). I can't remember how much the cab ride was, but I don't recall it being too expensive or anything. Perhaps someone else will be able to share that info with you. :-)

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: presidente vs riu

The cab to San Jose from the Presidente is $5.00 and to San Lucas $35.00 but you can get the schuttle from the hotel to san lucas for $10.00 per person round trip. If you decide to rent a car do it on line before you get down there you will save a ton of money. Dollar has a desk at the Presidente so you can pick the car up there. We usually rent one for a couple of days especially if we think we might go into San Lucas becase it is way less expensive that cabs. My husband and I are down there several times a year and my biggest complaint has been the cost of cabs. No complaints with the Presidente.. it is the best! Going there is like going home except better! One other little glitch is the vacation club people sometimes they get a bit pushy but usually if you just tell them you aren't interested they will leave you alone.