We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

We are arriving in San Jose for our first time next week. Some friends have been to the Cabo area several times and have recommended a day trip to Santiago and a visit to a remote waterfall. They have given us hand written instructions (if we get air strip, we've gone too far). Does anyone know about the waterfall and if so, how far it is from San Jose? Is it a safe trip by car?

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
California
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
625 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Here are some directions from another post: From the airport, continue heading north on Highway 1 for about 45-60 minutes to Santiago.Take the Santiago exit and head west toward Santiago. Take a right on the road just before the town square. At the end of that road, it turns to dirt, and there will be signs that direct you all the way to Cascada Sol del Mayo. There will be a toll booth. Continue until the parking lot. You will need to walk about a mile on a trail until you descend to the falls.

Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Thanks. That's a little more detailed than the one our friends gave us. Do you think it's a safe trip?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
625 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Absolutely- there are not the other problems you are hearing about in Mexico. Take it slow on the dirt road part though or your rental might have some problems :).

Edited: 9:07 am, March 06, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Just a couple of things. If this is your first trip to Cabo, I don't know if I'd waste a whole day on Santiago Falls. There is so much to do in Cabo (including just relaxing by the pool). If you are there for more than a week it might be worth it. We've been to Cabo every year since 2001 and have yet to make the trip to the falls. I also understand that there is a cliff climb DOWN to the falls area that could be difficult for some.

Another issue is the rental car. Almost all of the rental companies in Cabo forbid (in their contract) trips to either the falls or to Cabo Pulmo because of the extremely hazardous dirt roads. If you take a rental and damage it at either of those locations, be prepared to pay big bucks to the rental car company. Insurance won't even matter in this case because you violated the contract.

I hope you have a great first trip to Cabo (don't worry, you'll be back). DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE IN CABO. If you want to buy - come home first and buy on the resale market. Or next trip, just rent from an owner. Either way will save you a lot of money.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cabo Pulmo
Cabo Pulmo
Los Cabos, Mexico
Sammamish...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

I was at the falls a couple years ago. The dirt road is smooth and quick, the "mile" walk to the falls is 10 minutes, there are no cliffs or major hazards to worry about, though granted the trail is not wheel chair accessible. There is a nice freshwater swimming hole at the base of the falls, with some rocks to jump off of. I thought it was a worthwhile afternoon (not whole day) excursion if you were going to swim and / or picnic, but if the goal is to simply see it, snap a quick picture, and leave, probably not worth the effort. As an added note, we thought it was interesting that the water coming down in the waterfall was substantially warmer than the standing water in the "pool" at the base. When we were there in early April, I would guess the water in the pool was about ~75 (slightly warmer than the ocean at that time of year), but the waterfall was maybe 85-90. It was quite fun to swim to the falls and take a warm "shower".

California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

If you have ever seen or been to a waterfall before, you won't be impressed. Like the previous poster said, I don't know if I would waste a day in Cabo to go to the waterfall. It is neat but the "OOOHhh" factor lasts a few seconds. Just my 2 cents.

Cabo Nut

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Olds, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

we went to the falls about 1 year ago and enjoyed the day. We went guided by baja outback ( road in hummers) in a small group. Not only did we hike to the falls but we hiked further into the canyon to a smaller falls and little swimming hole. The hike was not too physical but there were some difficualt technical spots on the rocks high on top near the big falls. My wife and I have spent about 6 weeks in cabo over the last few years and we try to do something different and learn more of the area every time we go. We enjoyed this day trip, but I would only do it if it is guided as they made sure that things were safe.

Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Thanks, everyone. I am always so impressed by the amount of detailed input I get from TA. Always makes my vacations more enjoyable.

Stanwood, WA
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

Does anyone know if Santiago still has a zoo? It's been a few years since we've been to SJDC but I remember there being a zoo behind the town square.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,225 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jose / Santiago Remote Waterfall

We visited the tiny Santiago Zoo last November. Here is a photo of the snakes in the snake pit: https:/…5539938963424989266