We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Hangouts in San Jose

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fun Hangouts in San Jose

I've been to Mexico many times (PV, Cancun, Mazatlan and Cabo 8 years ago). Love the culture and know Cabo San Lucas pretty well. This October my wife and Brother are staying in San Jose Del Cabo for a week at the Grand Baja Resort. We are planning to go to Cabo for our wild nights out, but I have never been to San Jose and would like to know of some good restaurants and bars around the area, including any cheap local watering holes. Also, we would love to hear anything on the Grand Baja Resort or insider info on how to get a deal on golf at some of the nice courses. Any info would be appriciated.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Hangouts in San Jose

There are great restaurants in San Jose, including to name a few: Damiana's, Local Eight, El Chilar, Tropicana, Baan Thai, Tequila, El Tulipan, La Panga Antigua, Mi Cocina at Casa Natalia Hotel, Morgan's Encore. Also a couple of great local restaurants up on (or near) the Highway: The Hangman, Milo's and Tacos Rossy. Another outstanding place for breakfast is a place called Buzzards Bar and Grill which is about 20 minutes east of SJD past La Playita. There are not many bars per se, but restaurants with lounges. Probably my favorite place to hang out (with dangerous little margaritas) is the Tropicana right on the town square.

Seattle
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Hangouts in San Jose

Thanks for the insider info Eljefe!!! Just what I was looking for.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Hangouts in San Jose

Go to SHOOTERS! Outside and upstairs bar that has TV for sports and good cheap drinks and yummy food-we loved the GB-we stayed there last Jan and had the best time..Buzzards-I totally agree! Down the road from GB is a cactus botanical garden-that was fun, across the street is Rusty Putter-good rinks and food for all breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do not do your laundry at GB-very expensive and takes for ever since there is only one washer and dryer on grounds-do it in San JOse-they will wtach it for you whiel yuou go have breakfast! and it is dirt cheap! Take the school bus from the top of the GB driveway and it will take you throughout San Jose for 5 pesos (50 cents usa). We decided not to get off in ton and got a tour of all of San Jose where everyone lives and works and then it turned around and we got dropped off into town-we had a blast-the peopple were so friendly and nice and we got to do that as a sightseeing trip for only 50 cents!!!!

Golf is very expensive but there is a nine hole course that is cheap in San Jose.

On a side note-what can you tell me about Mazatlan? Thinking of doing a getaway there-thoughts?

Feel free to email me kcush02@yahoo.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Hangouts in San Jose

Thanks for the great info KC. We are looking forward to staying at the Grand Baja and exploring San Jose. It's been 4 years since I have been to Mazatlan so you might check out some info from the Mazatlan Forum as my memory of the details aren't that great. We stayed at the Playa Mazatlan in the Golden Zone and thought is was terrific for the price. Maz has more of a city feel than any other tourist destination in Mexico. I loved the food. We would usually find a place that a lot of locals would be eating and it would turn out to be fabulous. Good night life and great fishing. Also, it is much cheaper than Cabo or PV. PV is my personal favorite as far a Mexican destinations but Mazatlan is fun in it's own way.

sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Hangouts in San Jose

Our favorite dumpy local bar in San Jose is the "3er Piso" sports bar on Zaragosa street, just up the hill from the church. It's more locals than tourists, and it's got a fun/funky/friendly feel to it. They have live music on weekends, and beers are like 15 pesos. I think it's called a "sports bar" because they have a pool table. There was nothing sporty about the place, unless you consider getting drunk and falling down the stairs a sport!

When you're sick of mexican food, try "La Dolce" italian restaurant on the main square in San Jose. I am not exaggerating that the food there is the most like italian food I've ever had outside of italy. I went there twice on my last trip because it reminded me so much of the old country.

Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo