We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Shares

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Time Shares

I am curious about this. My thinking about the time share representatives is that they are actually working for the Mexican government or a step down the Mexican tourist board. Am I off base? My husband & I were discussing them and came to the conclusion that they must have good luck or they wouldn't continue. My husband said there is no doubt alot of people with extra cash to spend (unlike us). From the looks of the boats in the harbors, I think I agree. Personally, we've made enough bad investmenst in our life time that our automatic answer is "not interested". :)

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,669 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Shares

Im not going to pretend that I know whether the Mexican govt or tourist board are involved, however, my thought is no. These are complexes being constructed by investors, whether US or Mexican. They hire these people to lure tourists into their properties always showing the best of the best. However, we have already heard that the Mayan is a place to stay away from.

If you were even thinking of picking up one, take the tour of the ones you might be interested in and then get online to holidaygroup.com or others spoken of on this forum and pick up resales for a fraction of the cost. I saw a studio at Marina Fiesta (a place that I like) and it was on sale for 1399. Of course there are transfer fees and yearly assoc. fees, but if you are interested in time shares, this would have been a great buy. There are many others tho, at all the different resorts. Just keep browsing and you might find the perfect fit for your wants or needs.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Shares

dmfalle,

the timeshare sharks do not work for the Mexican government. they work for the property developers. they cut deals with the boat operators, atv people etc to channel their customers to them exclusively for a slightly discounted rate and thats how they can do this. the money they pay out amounts to an advertising budget on the part of the resrt. Buena Suerte......... jim

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Shares

Thanks for your input. You have satisfied my curiousity! :)

4. Re: Time Shares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo