We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
madison, wi
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

My wife and I will be traveling to San Jose del Cabo in December. We don't know any Spanish at all. Is that going to be a problem? I took Spanish in high school 20 years ago, so I am familiar with numbers and biblioteca, but that's about it. Is there a resource somewhere with helpful phrases to know or refer to?

Also, are there any local Mexican customs that I need to be aware of? I know when we honeymooned in Paris, I found out that it was rude if you didn't say "bon jour" when entering a small shop or restaurant.

I would like to be as respectful and unoffensive as possible.

4 replies to this topic
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,646 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

Thats nice of you to be concerned, But English is spoken almost everywhere.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

The one custom that comes to mind is that the waiter won't bring the bill unless you ask for it. They think it is rude to bring the bill before you ask. So just say: "la cuenta, por favor".

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,882 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

<<<So just say: "la cuenta, por favor".>>>

Or "Please bring the check" :-)

Most of the people you will be talking to make a living providing services to English speaking tourists and wouldnt be able to do that if they didnt speak/understand at a minimum some English.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etiquette and common/useful phrases?

excellent questions:

I will address one of them: you mentioned the French. Mexicans are very accustomed to people from the United States being cold and rude. they expect it. thus you will be very surprised how they light up when you say buenos dias and buenas tardes, and buenas noches when it's night.

of course por favor, meaning please, and gracias, meaning ,thank you , are crucial.

to the posters to say don't worry English spoken everywhere, I suppose that is right. but that is a bit like saying does it really matter if I make someone else happy, or can I just please myself? ;-)

Edited: 10:20 pm, November 16, 2017
Reply to: Etiquette and common/useful phrases?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo