We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mex rent a car. Avoid!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Mex rent a car. Avoid!

They were extremely rude! They insulted my intelligence! I tried to refuel before returning .. the gas attendants tried to open and couldn't so I tried alternatives inside car and there was nothing! 4 of us tried to get the fuel door to open and nothing! So I told the guy at the rental he goes out there and it works ... no freaking way! I told them the dilemma and they told me I should know how to operate a vehicle and continued insulting! As a female I felt extremely discriminated humiliated!! The names were ernesto and Roberto!! They wanted to charge me double for gas fill up! Nope not giving them one more dime ever!!! Went back to a gas station!! Hell no! never ever again!!!! American company I trust only

33 replies to this topic
Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

Brenda there are no American rental agencies in Mexico. All are franchises like Hertz, Avis, etc. when these guys screw you the parent company in the US will not get involved...your lucky it was just a tank of gas, they usually find a scratch or the spare missing and charge you.........If you read this board many good and honest companies are recommended........

St. George, Utah
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

US rental car companies charge a fee or extra cost if you dont bring back the car full too. They dont just charge what it takes to fill it up. I had a good experiance with Mex, and would use them again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

It was the way I was treated!!! Simple as that! 4 people worked to get that fuel cap open! The way they handled that was dispicable plain and simple!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

I would have paid but the way they disgraced me and belittled me was completely dispicable!! I drive rentals monthly and never a problem! Not only me but two gas anttendants and my boyfriend tried and it would not open.. they degraded me as an ingrate! Believe me I know more about cars than a lot of men ...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

Funny I lived in st George for 5 yrs .. 400s 100w small world

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

No one take personal responsibility these days. You agreed to bring the car back with a full tank. Is it their fault you could not figure out how to open the gas cap?

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,650 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

Mex rent a car is one of five companies that are excellent to deal with.

It is Unfortunate that you experienced this very unusual problem.

I hope the rest of your vacation was stress free.

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

Brenda,

I know this doesn't do you any good now but if you come to Cabo again and need to rent a car, you should consider Dominic's car rental. He is amazing! He meets you at the airport, you pay him, he gives you the car along with his number if you have ANY problems, and you return it to the airport parking lot with an empty tank of gas when you leave. All insurance is included - no extra charges. This is the way car rental customer service ought to be!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

Budget, Avis and National all have rental car locations immediately at the airport, next time rent from them.

You've also got to see it from their point, you agreed to return the car full and didn't. Like CaboCarl mentioned, it's really not their fault that you couldn't get the gas cover off.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,650 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mex rent a car. Avoid!

AR72LQ.....Budget, National and Avis are among the WORST places to rent from at the airport.

The best are Alamo, BBB, Cactus, Mexrentacar and Dominiclocsabos.com,

Reply to: Mex rent a car. Avoid!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo