We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

It's been 25 years since we've gone to Cabo San Lucas and finally we are going back. During that trip we discovered Damiana, I believe at a hotel called the Twin Dolphins. Absolutely the best margaritas are made with Damiana! Over the years I have been able to find it close to my home in Long Beach however (1) price is now $33 at BevMo or (2) my liquor store in Costa Mesa ($24) no longer sells it.

This time we are staying in San Jose del Cabo. I will be on the look out for it in stores, but off hand any recommendations on where to buy Damiania? Thanks LL

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

Liquor store.

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

Any particular one or do they all carry it?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,660 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

I don't know if they carry it, but La Europea is the biggest liquor store around. It seems to be well stocked. (I just shop at the one in Cabo, but the store in San Jose should be similar.)

Here it is on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/n1Jmvx2dwM42

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

PacificNWFamily, thank you so much for giving me a name of a place. I will go there first and guess will need to do some "window shopping" if they don't have it.

Appreciate the map too!! LL

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,660 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

Other than La Europea, I'd guess you'll be looking at the big grocery stores.... La Comer (Mega), Soriana, and Walmart.

Here are more maps:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/

wikimapia.org/…2

But Google Maps works pretty well, if you know the name of the place you're headed toward.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

The La Europea website shows that they have it for $114 MXN. The picture does not show the bottle shape that we normally purchase, so it appears to be a different brand. The one we usually buy ($236 MXN) is shown on their site, but it says that the product is not available. Still worth a look, though. I have seen it at a number of local liquor stores in town.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

Important note regarding bringing back alcohol from Mexico. While you may be tempted to crack open a bottle for a little taste while you are in Cabo, I would recommend against it unless you are going to consume the entire bottle. Many years ago - bringing back an open (but taped up) bottle was usually not a problem, but it seems in recent years, Mexican luggage inspectors sometimes have issues with already opened bottles. I've seen some have to be poured out one year and left alone the next. So it's just safer to have new unopened bottles to bring home.

U.S. Customs - basically it says you can bring back one bottle (per person) free, before paying duty, but we've brought sometimes 3-4 bottles back (total) with no issues. Just be honest on your Customs declaration. A Customs Official has to decide when you present your declaration if it's worth the paperwork hassle to collect (less than a dollar) on that extra bottle or 2 of hootch. In our experience, it's just easier to let us be on our way.

The duty free store at the airport is generally not a good deal. While they will probably have Damiana available it will be definitely be priced higher than what you can get it for in town. Shoot for less than $15 per bottle. We always bring a little bubble wrap with us when we fly down.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

I'm pretty sure the last time I looked for it in the duty free store, it wasn't available. It was available at a smaller store at the airport though - a Corona store perhaps?

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

OH my THANKS for the recommendations and comments on opened liquor and customs WOW can't believe how inexpensive the bottles I get in the US are compared to Cabo. I am used to the half torso Inca woman bottle but perhaps if I can't find it I may venture out and get a different one.

So excited for our trip - many thanks to all who have helped me in my search. LL

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Damiana Liqueur 750ml - where to buy

Thank you Found it at la European for 234 MXN; they had quite a few bottles. What a great place to buy alcohol. Very large selection and I was recommended to a cranberry infused tequila which I bought. Thanks again for all the suggestions !

Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo
Recent Conversations