We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruiseship Passenger question?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cruiseship Passenger question?

We will be there in March on the Carnival Pride. We (2 adults, 2 kids under 12) want to just relax at a gorgeous pool with beachview, swim up bar is a must, food vendors and a hotel that will let cruise passengers use their pool facilities for the day only.

Please send me your best suggestions and please also tell me if they are within walking distance or do we have to take a taxi.

Thank you!

Christi Q.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

oops...sorry, went to the 2nd page and found some answers. What about Hotel Solmar and TerraSol right next to Playa and Fininsterra? Are they safe and ok also?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

I have stayed at the Fininsterra, Solmar and TerraSol. All have excellent pools with swim up bars, ocean views and are on the west side of the arch of San Lucas which means that the beach is not safe to swim but is not visited by other cruise ship passengers.

When I stayed at my friends house in Cabo we visited the Melia San Lucas which allowed us to use the pool as long as we bought drinks, we just asked at the front desk. Since my friend is a Mexican from the area there was no tip necessary, I would suggest tossing $10 their way. This hotel is on Madano beach which is where most of the cruise ship people go via water taxi; safe swimming, para sail, wave runners, beach front bars/restaurants, etc. There are many other nice hotels on Madano beach that you could try this.

Try to catch your cruise director when he is alone, I'm sure that he could give you the best advice.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

Thanks Craig, Melia San Lucas DOES look beautiful and has everything we want. I'll check into it!

Rocklin, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

We cruised last year on the Carnival Elatation and Cabo was a very short stop (4 hours). I think Pride stays for a few more hours. We had a very large group (9 adults and 8 children). The best decision we made was to take a water taxi to "El Arco" which was really a short excursion of about 45 minutes. The water taxi then dropped us off at Medrano beach and promised to come back and pick us up. I can't recall the Hotel name, but they let us use their beachfront facilities as long as we order something to eat or drink. We spent a relaxing a couple hours on the beach and the water taxi picked us up and to took us back to the marina to catch the service back to the ship. Don't be fooled, it looks like a short walk around the Marina to get to Medrano beach, but its a very long walk (45min to 1hour). Remember to bargain the water taxi fee, they usually want $10 per person, we only paid $80 for the group, well worth the money.Enjoy

england
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

hi ive just got back from a cruise on the carnival pride oct 9 to 16 went to cabo and it is beutiful all the beachside hotels let you use there pools bars and sun loungers all very clean its that nice we are going there for a holiday next year , if you go to mazatlan from the cruise be very careful where you eat had a bad experiance there and in pueorto vallatra allways check your change from the shops if you need anymore info please fill free to get in touch we found a very nice place in peuorto where the food is good and some good entertainment for your children. jayne dudbridge

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,469 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

Hi there! I think Finisterra is the best choice. Solmar and Playa Grande may not have an agreement with the cruise lines. Check with the purser. I believe Finisterra will be open to day guests. All are walking distance from the pier. TerraSol is privately owned, small, lovely, but few amenities for a day of poolside fun. Both Playa and Solmar have a "guard", as does Terra Sol, so access is more difficult if you are not staying there. Have a grand time in my favorite vacation spot. If you are looking for jewelry check Mexico Lindo and ask for Patty Rivera Olguin. Tell her Kay recommended her. (She may be off on maternity leave....)

kj
todos santos, bcs
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruiseship Passenger question?

Hotel Finisterra great pools friendly to day people near cruis ship drop off. Solmar and terra sol do not let outside people on premise. Finisterra has bathroom w/changing facilities near pool. Poolbar and restuarant. Service around pool area. very kid friendly