We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo rash

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
philadelphia
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo rash

I just returned from Cabo with a rash and read that someone else had posted information about a number of people who had the same experience. Please advise anything you might know as I didn't know what it could be. It is on the torso of my body and is red bumps and is itchy. I was not in the pool, hottub or ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo rash

My husband always get's that (sun bumps) We have yet to figure it out, other than it is a sun allergy. Either that or something in the sun screen. It would be nice to learn more. He has olive skin, tans fast....if he limits his sun time, he gets much less itchy/bumpy!

Upper Brookville, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo rash

we were in cabo over christmas and my daughter came down with a terrible rash and i am only just reading this now and would love to know what it was. she had it on her mouth (severely) and then all over her back, chest and limbs. she itched and screamed for nearly a week. we knew it was cabo as the mouth rash began to develop while we were there. the rest came later. any ideas? anyone?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo rash

I am still in the midst of the "cabo rash". saw a dermatologist last Monday and after a thorough exam he thinks that it mites as the rash does not follow the blood lines in my body. He took a biopsy and the results are not back yet. However, I am taking antihistimines day and night, had a shot to alleviate the swelling and itching, put on some lotion to kill the mites twice and I am still not better. I see the doctor tomorrow and feel certain that he will insist that I take prdnisone(a steroid) which he originally advised but I thought that I would get better without it. I am itching as I am writing this and quite tired of this ordeal. I will write again to let you know the outcome.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo rash

wow-where do you think you picked up the mites?

Upper Brookville, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo rash

thanks napa for keeping us posted. good luck with the rash. it did go away on my daughter after about ten days with no meds so you might get lucky. let us know how it works out for you.

louisiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo rash

Were you staying in a hotel, if so what was it's name??If it is mites, will bringing along lysol help?? Just curious! We will be going in June and my husband will freak if he gets anything!(he's had open heart surgery so he's a little nervous). Thanks!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo rash

Yes more info on this would help... Do you think it was the laundry in your Resort? The Beach? Humm .....

dallas, tx
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo rash

I'm not a dermatologist, going to be an Ob in about 3 months, but whenever someone complains of a rash after visiting a hotel, it is a good idea to check with your doctor about scabies. It's a very contagious skin mite that gives you a red rash with small bumps that itch worse than just about anything. You treat it with a topical lice treatment (ie: Quell before they pulled it off the market) Just a thought.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo rash

Wouldn't mite bites be all over and not just in the places that are exposed to the sun? I think there is a rash that is sun related....just affecting the parts that also get the sun screen. We eliminated the Paba-he still gets it, so limits the exposure and that helps (He has olive skin and tans in a New York minute)

Mentioned in this post
san jose ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo rash

I'm curious what hotels people stayed in that have the rash. My wife is a nurse. Scabies can be contacted through human touch from another person or from bedding or furniture...... it looks like a rash.....beware....What Hotels ????