We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Refund

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cayucos, California
Level Contributor
252 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Air Refund

Are they refunding on tickets to Cabo

Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Refund

We received a full refund from USairways yesterday for a September 20 departure. After the hurrican, I planned on canceling but had to wait for the airline to cancel the flight first in order to receive a full refund. If you're flight on USairways isn't canceled by them first, then you are subject to cancellation or change penalities.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Refund

Make sure you contact your booking Agent. I booked through Sunwing, and was previously confirmed travelling on Sept 29, 2014. When I called today for a refund the agent told me I was not booked for Cabo, but rather Puerto Vallarta.

On their website, they were offering Puerto Vallarta as an alternative for Cabo due to the disaster, but had not called me to see if I wanted to switch. They had changed my booking from Cabo, to Puerto Vallarta on their with out speaking to me. I told the agent I had a receipt for my booking and insisted they refund me.She advised she would, and would take 3-5 business days.

Whittier, California
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Refund

I called American Airlines and they told me at this moment they are unable to change my tickets without charging me the $200 penalty per ticket. My departure date to Cabo is 10/29 :(

las vegas
Level Contributor
119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Refund

I was scheduled to fly American on 9/30. They will not issue a refund to me, but offered to change it for free to a different destination. We checked PV and Cancun. I would have to pay the difference of the fare $200 + in both locations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Refund

I can not see how a airline can refuse to refund your money, when they can not provide the service. The whole point of booking Cabo for this time of year, is that the weather in all other areas of Mexico are storm and rainy season.

I would recommend you be insistent on a refund, and state the following to them. US Airways, Alaska Air, United Air and Expedia have all offered full refunds to customers. This will definitely effect their business, if you advise them of the conversations on Trip Advisor.

las vegas
Level Contributor
119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Refund

Bob, I've called twice almost begging for a refund. They just tell me every time, that I purchased a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket. No way around it. But it looks like I can get issued a credit to use for the original ticket price ($398) and use it to any destination within 330 days. So not all bad. Much worse for other people! I've found a flight to Cancun for $345 anyway, so working on booking that now. (and hotel, planning my friends trip from SEA also, etc) THANKS

Edited: 12:35 pm, September 18, 2014
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
198 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Refund

I have Executive Platinum FF level with American Airlines - and can't get an October flight changed without a change fee - so they are sticking pretty firm to the no change/refunds for tickets booked for travel after Sep 30. I do know there is agent and supervisor flexibility depending on who you get on the phone, so its worth the persistence to ask to speak to a supervisor. I'm taking a wait and see how much basic services are retored by our travel date of Oct 25. Its going to be a long recovery.

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Refund

This is posted on American Airlines. I had my trip booked through Costco and they are allowing me to change my destination without penalty from American Airlines.

"Due to hurricane Odile, American Airlines offers the following flexibility options to our ticketed customers whose travel may be impacted by this event. Customers ticketed to travel on AA*/US flights to/from/through the airports listed below may change flights as shown below.

If you are traveling to, through or from:

Los Cabos, Mexico (SJD)

On the following dates: September 15 - October 15, 2014

And your ticket was issued no later than: September 17, 2014

You may travel: September 15 – November 20, 2014

Original inventory required? No

Origin/Destination/Stopover Changes allowed? Yes

or

You may travel: November 21 – August 1, 2015

Original inventory required? Yes

Origin/Destination/Stopover Changes allowed? Yes

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.

To change travel dates or for questions regarding destination changes, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page."

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Refund

Virgin refunded 100% of my non-refundable fare to my Elevate account to be used within 1 year. I also had a special circumstance because I was using money from my Elevate account that had already passed its expiration date, hence the trip to Cabo to use it. I thought they handled the situation very professionally and quickly.

I tried rerouting to PV, but their limited service made it impossible and the price difference was astronomical if I could get on a plane.....$1200 to PV....not happening. I rebooked to Cabo In October and that may not be happening either.

As an added note, Casa Dorada Medano was very quick to respond to my cancellation and was providing excellent communication regarding rebooking. Under the circumstances, I wasn't expecting much service, let alone good service.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Refund

Our date for travel was to be Sept 29, 2014 and included Riu Palace hotel. I just confirmed with our agent, "Sunwing", that I am receiving a full refund, including the cost of my travel insurance, as a refund on my credit card. I have heard of other travel agencies giving full refund for people who did not have insurance. I believe it may have to do with your travel date, whether they refund or provide an alternate travel date/coupon.