We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline/Flight question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airline/Flight question

Hi all-

This may be an odd question, but...

I will be flying to SJD on 10/2 for my honeymoon. We booked flights on american, and could not find any direct flights from new york, so we will be flying newark to dallas/fort worth, then DFW to san jose del cabo (also on american). I am concerned in that the listed time between flights is only 45 minutes, and I don't think that will be enough time to get from domestic to international in what I assume are different terminals. Has anyone made a similar connection previously, and if so, does it sound reasonable to try to attempt? I would rather avoid starting off my honeymoon by missing a flight and losing my luggage somewhere-Thanks for your help

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline/Flight question

The DFW airpost can be difficult, and the carriers oft times use published connections that really aren't long enough. My advice would be to see if they will reschedule you (at no charge) for a longer connect time. They are obligated to get you out on their next available flight if you miss connect due to arriving late, etc., but it's not a fun way to travel.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline/Flight question

That was exactly the time frame we had both in Feb and in May for our connection in DFW via American. It is quite a distance from the domestic gate to the international one but we did make it but were quite rushed. Don't worry the airline knows you're coming in from another location. You can always call and let them know you're on your way. They held the plane for me inroute to Cozumel last year in Houston after I said I'm on my way thru the airport..........

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline/Flight question

There's a tram/train you can take between terminals, or flag down one of those carts to take you.

How long is the layover coming back? Because you'll have to go through immigration in Dallas, and that could take longer than 45 minutes.

www.dfwairport.com/transport/connect.html

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline/Flight question

Thanks for the responses!

Our layover coming back is longer, probably in the 2-3 hour range if I remember correctly.

I think I'll try what you reccomend and see what happens...

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline/Flight question

I've had the same connection a couple times...it is close, but can be done. You MUST take the shuttle to the other terminal. I did manage to spend the nite in the Dallas airport once last year when my flight into Dallas was late, and I missed the connection to Cabo. That time I had the last flight out in the evening to Cabo, something I'll try to avoid in the future. If you hit a glitch, theres no "next" flight to bump you to, and sleeping on a cot in the airport is no fun, especially since they keep the air too cool in there, and run the "don't leave your bags unattended" warning on the loudspeaker every 15 minutes or so all...night....long.....

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline/Flight question

I fly Newark to SJD NON-Stop every year on Continental. Forget about connecting in DFW..It would be like connecting in JFK...a nightmare..be there & do that stay away from DFW !!!!!!!!!!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline/Flight question

I'd love to fly direct! I searched all the airlines I could think of and there are no direct flights. I think some carriers that do fly direct don't offer it year round-If anyone has any other info, I'd love to hear it. Thanks all-

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline/Flight question

I haven't been in all that many airports, but Dallas was no worse than others-my overnighter notwithsanding. Listen for your gate assignments, check the map (in the magazine in the seatback), while you're still inflight, and hop the tram. It takes a little time, but if I can manage it anyone can:) Have a blast!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline/Flight question

My mother-in-law just had this same connection time flying from Philadelphia to Phoenix to Portland on America West / US Airways. The flight from Philadelphia was delayed by a half-hour, so of course she missed the flight from Phoenix. The next flight to Portland was about three hours later, so they put her on that flight - she ended up getting into Portland at about 1:30AM instead of 10:00PM.

If you have a choice...I'd switch. Flying from the east coast, the flights are often delayed by a half hour to an hour, so you'll be out of luck. However, if everything goes just right, and you sit in the front of the plane so you can deplane fast, you should make it.

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline/Flight question

I'd switch that flight as the next flight involves passing to another terminal across the airport.Katd help me with this one-Doesnt Delta have a direct flight from Newark(liberty airport) to cabo.When we lef tCabo for SFO 3 weeks ago I noticed that flight along with the big line to go home.

Mex25