We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
L.ong Island N.Y.
10 posts
Save Topic
Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Im 47 male in a wheelchair, have traveled throughout caribbean, liked cancun,st thomas,mixed feelings about p.rico/ did not like aruba. i normally never go to all inclusives yet handicapped people can't be choosy, like 4-5 star rated properties, like beachin/poolin it by day, intertwined with shopping, like dinners out, romantic-to fun places, like to propose on this trip...if you can recommend any places to look at in cabo handicapped friendly--roll in showers, ramps etc..please do--also any other ideas truly welcomed, many thanks!-traveling 9days/8nights, march-07--thanks sooooo much for your help.

California
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

i ran a search and came up with a few hotels that either said they could accomidate you with special rooms or the entire hotel is accesible. hotels i found were Marina Sol Resort, Hotel Twin Dolphin, Villa Del Palmar, Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Resort, Pueblo Bonito Rose. I would recommend the Pueblo Bonito Rose. It is a very nice hotel and the staff is all great. My brother proposed to his now wife there and they set up a beautiful private meal for them with candles and flowers. Also by staying at the Rose you will get full privelages of their neighboring hotel the Pueblo Bonito Blanco.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Chairman,

I can only give you one to stay away from. We stayed at the Riu and loved it. But it's a huge facility, with all stairs except one elevator. Probably not a great choice.

Par

L.ong Island N.Y.
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Sir/madam-thank you-

I was recommended-pueblo bonita rose, sheraton hacienda, villa del mar, twin dolphins--any thoughts on these properties?also what's with tax on hotel and gratuity tax?..can you explain for me how much this comes to.

great thanks-

johnny-(the chairman)

dion333@optonline.net

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Taxes run around 22% for hotels and such......it's a combination, and is definitely high!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Melia San Lucas, Solmar and Playa Grande also list handicapped facilities.

Kirkland, Wa
Level Contributor
758 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Chairman3:

Hummm, I am wondering about Hacienda del mar...... If you stay in the hotel part everything there is elevatored so that would be a great and they have ramps into the restaurants. What I am wondering is if there is a ramp to the beach? I am not positive. I am going there tomorrow and will be there for 5 days I will scope things out for you and see.

The timeshare part also would be able to accomidate you with ground floor units and will acutally look over the pool and be ocean front. I know they have a ramp to the pool there also. I would say that all 4 restaurants have ramps.

I know that they can set up an amazing dinner out on the sand with candles leading you to the table all alone on the beach. Like I said the only thing I am worried about is access to the beach. For some reason I don't remember a ramp to the beach. I will check it out and try and take some pics for you when I am there and ask about handicapped units.

If you have any other questions just let me know I will be checking on here until this afternoon.

L.ong Island N.Y.
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

everyone is so kind-thank you. For the party going down in 5 days-could you please tell me about the 'tax' situation, one advisor said it was approximately 22%, am I to understand if the total hotel stay w/ drinks etc is $ 6,000, it would be 22% of 6k?..that's insane!!..please advise, also if you don't mind-

your thoughts on pueblo bonita rose?

sheraton hacienda?

villa del mar?

twin dolphins?

I can not thank you enough, you all are kind spirited individuals!

johnny..(the chairman3)

Sausalito
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Hi, Another property to consider might be the new Villa del Arco or the Villa La Estancia; both upscale and pretty accessible. Both are close to downtown Cabo San Lucas. Estancia has concierge services including private chefs and can/will arrange a private beachfront dinner.

Taxes: The federal tax is 13% - I think that 10% goes to the Mexican Government, 2% was assessed a few years ago to build the main fourlane highway and the 1% was added about a year ago (can't remember the reason).

The additional 10% goes to the Workers' Union in Cabo and is distributed among all of the employees except management and is technically in lieu of gratuities to the staff.

Most of the all inclusives include all taxes and gratuities.

Some of the all inclusives that list accessible rooms are very difficult to navigate; particularly RIU (as noted). Playa Grande would also be very difficult to enjoy in a wheelchair due to many stairs and extremely steep ramps

Crowne Plaza in San Jose del Cabo (four star) would be fairly comfortable in terms of navigating the public areas but I'm not sure about room accessibility. The Plaza Tower building would be the best (3 or 4 elevators). Grand Baja might work well and you might also consider Casa del Mar in the corridor.

Cabo San Lucas itself has some pretty uneven streets with a lot of unexpected steps of varying sizes on the sidewalks. San Jose del Cabo may be a better choice for shopping, dining and general accessibility.

Good luck with the proposal and hope this helps :)

L.ong Island N.Y.
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

thank you once again to all who are taking time to help me. The last person broke down the tax, however, how is it assessed?, Based on the entire bill at the end of the stay? or is it handled another way-

My concern would be to have a $3000.00 dollar bill at the end of the week, for example only, and then be charged 23% on top of that!..Am I correct in this way of figuring?

thanks again--so much to all of you-

Kirkland, Wa
Level Contributor
758 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo San Lucas avid traveler needed to help with handicapped

Chairman:

Okay, I am back from Hacienda Del Mar and I really scoped things out for you and feel like I can now give you a straight forward answer on things. It appears that to all of the restaurants they have ramps. HOWEVER, i did noitce that those ramps seemed quite narrow. I would say a wheelchair would fit fine but it would be tight.

Now there was 1 ramp going to the upper pool by the time share which also has restrooms on that level. But no ramp going to the lower pool by the time share.

No ramps going to the pools by the hotels and frankly tons of stairs. Now I talked to a person in the timeshare part and he said that they have portable ramps that they can arrange to have in place for you that you can use at any time or they could set up for you. After they said that I challenged them on the fact that there were many areas that had several stairs and that I couldn't see any possible way to make that work. They said they have few routes that make it easier.. so fair enough... i thought they did have a spot by the beach that only required a few steps by the cortez restaurant. Which would be an amazing place to have a romatic dinner.

Most of the buildings have an elevator so i don't see that as a problem and they do have some units that are specific for wheelchairs. I think you could get by at the Hacienda del mar but it might require some work and waiting for help with the portable ramps. They made it clear that hey have had wheelchair guest and would try to accomodate you as best as they could. If you have any questions just let me know! Hope this helps.