We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Medical Insurance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
167 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Medical Insurance

Hadn't even thought about this - never used for other abroad travels, then i started reading some of the posts on here and I am considering purchasing the extra coverage - contacted our home carrier who verifies we do have coverage in Mexico and all expenses treated in network if ER situation - the problem seems to be in the "pay first - then get reimbursed" seems like the $ up front is the primary concern for the facilities in Mexico. Having decided to go ahead and get the insurance i'm wondering which one TA members have had to use and how the experience went? Hard to find reviews on these type of companies - a lot of explaining what they provide but no real customer feedback. What i can find on Allianz on Welp is all bad, nothing on Frontier Medex - who i am leaning towards. Any input will be appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Medical Insurance

There has been a lot of info put out there just within the past few days on this subject. Really no need to start another thread. Just check out the recent threads about insurance! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
167 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Medical Insurance

i did - that's what made me decide to buy in the first place - just not much info on customer satisfaction and only 2 companies i can find on line that are mentioned - figured if so many people are chiming in with their answers they must have some personal recommendations.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,587 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Medical Insurance

Med Jet Assist and Sky Med would be two companies to look at for emergency evacuation. It isn't totally unusual for companies to need payment up front and then the person is reimbursed.......but not all companies operate like that. Luckily, I don't have personal experience in needing to use the insurance, but I do get it.

SLC
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Medical Insurance

We purchased some insurance from Allianz, mainly for the medical evac. I thought the coverage included other things like trip delay or cancellation due to illness. It turns out they would only cover up to $800 but I was actually denied my claim completely (husband got sick and couldn't go) because that wasn't covered in my policy. Please read the coverage carefully when choosing a plan.

5. Re: Travel Medical Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 02, 2015