We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

illness

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
houston
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
illness

Thinking about staying at the Sheraton Hacienda Del mar soon. Just read two new user reviews about many people recently getting ill there. Anybody with any news on this?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,469 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: illness

I saw them as well, but there have not been any others....my guess is someone brought a flu bug with them, but who knows! You might have your travel agent check with the tour operator.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: illness

My girlfriend and I were there recently and I can assure you this was no "flu bug". The Mexican Department of Health was brought in to investigate. It was an epidemic probably from the drinking water, the pool, or the food. 24 hours of hellish stomach pain. The staff was less than helpful during the ordeal. I would steer clear for now.

Wyckoff, New Jersey
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: illness

I am getting married in Cabo in June, 2005 and have many guests staying at the Sheraton. Any suggestions?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,469 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: illness

Wow, Edwina-sounds like the same thing that seems to go through cruise ships periodically. Hopefully, they will be able to "fix" everything! Sorry it happened to you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: illness

This is interesting. Last July my husband I stayed at this resort on an RCI exchange. I became very ill with some kind of stomach bug. I remember others complaining of sickness at the pool but figured it was just a virus going around. I only drank bottled water, but did eat at their restaurants. Don't know if it's just coincidence, but thought it was interesting when i read this post.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: illness

We just got back from Cabo. Neither of us got seriously ill. But, our stomachs were never 100% right down there. I think it's inevitable in that area. We spent a lot of money eating at the higher end restaurants and we were shocked that we had the terrible stomach issues that we had...

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: illness

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC just recently went through same stomach flu. Be sure to wash your hands, don't put fingers in nose. We have been back 16 days and we got something on the plane. Heard you should use nasal spray to keep you nose moist every two hours. Its been rough but people from other areas of Mexico and beyond who traveled at about same time have had same problems.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: illness

We went to Riviera Maya 2 years ago and my husband went thru long lasting stomach problems. I had some issues but nothing like him. We were concerned when going to Cabo area this Feb. I started taking lactobacillus 5 days before going, he took nothing and neither of us had any problems but only ate at hotel (Grand Baja) and a few places in San Jose, plus Office in Cabo. We bought food at grocery in San Jose and cooked some meals. I like Sheratons in US so don't know what might be going on there. Sorry to hear. I think they will work on and hopefully correct any problems they find.

tyler, tx
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: illness

I can also assure you this was no "flu bug" bought with me from Texas..I haven't been sick in over 7 years...this is the first time. Everybody at the pool was talking about being sick as well as people checking out next to me..I heard somebody mention that due to the overwhelming rain they had the Friday prior (11th, maybe?) that their sewer systems are not designed for that much rain and for some reason the standing water caused problems, but I don't know. I can tell you I would be VERY nervous about staying there anytime in the near future--I would not want to go thru the hellish throwing up that I went thru for 12 hours for any thing or place in this world, and I am not exaggerating...

WC
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: illness

SHERATON UPDATE WITH RECENT GROUP ILLNESS:

I have been working closely with the Sheraton for the past 4 years. I have a wedding coordination business in Cabo and just had a several wedding events there during Valentine's Day weekend. Most guests stayed through the 17th, but no one experienced any illness.

When I heard of this I contacted the Sheraton immediately asking for status and update. This is the response they sent me:

" Yes, we have had several guests experience illness from a bacteria. Our doctors and our Internal Health & Hygiene Committee performed all sorts of tests on the water, food, kitchen staff, waiters, etc. to determine what the problem was. No illnesses have been reported for the past 5 days but we are still taking every precaution possible to prevent this from reoccuring."

It is very unfortunate travelers had this horrible experience while visiting Los Cabos. Throughout the years we have planned numerous events at the Sheraton and have always found it to be a safe and clean environment for guests. It sounds as if whatever the mystery was; it has surpassed. I hope travelers will continue to visit Los Cabos and not let this discourage people to stay at the Sheraton. It truly is a great resort!

Adios, Debra