We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu? No?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ny,ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Riu? No?

I've been reading some negative reviews about the RIU on this board. Has anyone had a good experience there?? Were the main problems the loud children & the difficult restaurant reservations??

Any other all inclusives someone could recommend??

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
La Casona
$$$$, Seafood, Steakhouse
Sunset Point
$$ - $$$, Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
El Peregrino
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu? No?

Tgirl,

I think everyone that goes there has fun, it's just a few things that kind of put a damper on the experience. Big, beautiful, new resort with lots to offer in the way of pools, tanning, massage, bars til all hours. Fairly close to Cabo, could be walked in about 15 minutes.

The biggest gripe is the food and dealing with reservations! Fortunately you are only minutes from some of the best authentic Mexican food in the world!

I never had a problem with children,(probably because I act like one!)

If you have your heart set on the RIU you go and enjoy! Just make sure you make it to town for some truly awsome food!! Of this I am sure you won't be sorry!

Hasta,

F4B

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
2. Re: Riu? No?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 pm, August 11, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu? No?

We have been to the RIU twice and have thoroughly enjoyed it. But we do our due diligence and know ahead of time what to expect. We go on vacation for good weather (it's perfect) a nice, clean resort, close to town and somewhere safe. We feel that RIU fits the bill.

True, the food does get repetitive, but we go out for dinner for a change of pace. The reservation system is not a problem. This year we never had to wait in line or miss out on a restaurant, however we go for a whole week. I can see if you are there for 3 or 4 days, you may not get into, for example, the gourmet restaurant (which, by the way, is not the best at the RIU).

No problems with children, but be careful of spring break.....there have been loud, drunk, obnoxius teens and young adults roaming the resort, to say nothing of your usual older drinkers. This could happen anywhere.

To tell you the truth, the negative reviews boggle my mind...I get to each his own.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu? No?

I'm right in there with headinsouth, I too have been there twice. I vacation for relaxation, free flowing drinks and not having to think about where to eat. I love the idea of all inclusives. The RIU has something for everyone. Regardless of where you stay, where will always be little problems. I tend to overlook them and remember why I'm there. Heck, if you went to the same restaurant back at home every day for a week, it would seem repetitive also.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu? No?

travelgrl77

can't say much... actually can't say anything about the RIU since I never stayed there but since you asked about other all inclusives I would highly recommend the Presidente. Unless you absolutely want to be closer to San Lucas. Check out the photos and reviews.

Granted there are families that go there with their kids but I haven't ever experienced major loud kids I think mostly because the resort has 3 pools 1 is mainly a family pool (with swimup bar) 1 activities pool vollyeball etc (also has swimup bar and the adult pool (no swimup bar but one very close to the pool and Alma or who ever is there takes very good care of the guests).

Restaurant reservations are not difficult just do it in the morning and remember that most Americans have a tendency to want to eat between 6 & 7 so if you don't mind eating a little later there is usually no problem, and there is always the buffet which by the way is very good (except oriental night but that is just my opinion). Fiesta night is my favorite. Or you can do room service 24 hours a day so you aren't ever going to be hungry. Plus you can always go into town and try any number of great restaurants.

The rooms are nice, not overly fancy but comfortable and well appointed. We always go for the 1st floor oceanview with lanai but over the years have stayed at one point or another on the 2nd & 3rd floor. Besides how much time are you going to spend in your room when you are awake. Beds are very typical Mexican HARD but you can request a eggy thing to make if softer. The housekeeping staff leave 4 bottles of water daily in the room but you can easily request more and get it! There are always plenty of towels and wash cloths in the room and housekeeping comes around twice a day morning to clean evening for turn down so if you need more just ask.

Drinks are good and free flowing. I read once where someone thought the drinks were watered down NOT TRUE I guess they just forgot that ice melts in hot weather. By the way the liquor is good stuff...Stoli, Crown, Jack, Jose Cuervo just to name a few. The beer is Corona on tap XX and Tecante by room service although I heard that XX was on tap at the family pool (don't know if that is true or not)

Grounds are unbelivable, simply beautiful and difinitely in keeping with the eco system of the area. They are constantly working on them. The resort even has a turtle hatchery right on the grounds working with the conservation people to help perserve different types of sea turtles.

Activites desk is great about assisting with tours, fishing etc. You can get ATV's across the street or horses and an ultra lite lands on the beach by the hotel for ultra lite plane rides.

But the most important thing that makes this resort so incredible is the management and staff. Management lead by Michael Oney is very hands on you will see him as well as other managers walking around the resort talking with guests to make sure everything is good, and the staff is friendly always taking time to say hola even the guys working the grounds you won't find a harder working group of people anywhere.

I admit this is a rather long opinion and I probably could be accused of being somewhat biased but I truly believe the Presidente it's management and staff are the best in all of Cabo!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
6. Re: Riu? No?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 14, 2009