We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reserving car rentals...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston
13 posts
Save Topic
reserving car rentals...

Does anyone think that it is smarter to reserve cars ahead of time? Or just walk up and rent one when we get there? I hear so many horror stories about getting ripped off by foreign rental companies.... Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: reserving car rentals...

deeg,

everyone has thier favorites but when i rent i use Advantage. they are a few paces from the terminal and have never jerked me around. reserve you car in advance on the net. print out your confirmation. take it with you. if you pay with a major credit card all you will need to purchase is the third party liability insurance. you do this at the agency office in Cabo. remember to call your credit card company and your atm people to let them know you will be using the crad in Mexico. they might put a security hold on it otherwise and this cost you a lot of money in phone calls and precious vacation time. also it is not adviseable to drive at night due to free range livestock who seem to prefer the highway to the turff! heres a link for you. Buena Suerte........ jim

advantage.arac.com/google/advantage.htm

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reserving car rentals...

Your rate will be SERIOUSLY lower if you reserve in advance in the U.S. My favorite is Avis because they include the manditory 3rd party liability insurance in the rate they quote you. For other rental companies, add $7.--$11.00 per day for the manditory 3rd party liability when you are comparing rates.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reserving car rentals...

pstreet,

I have not tried Avis. Do you go right through their website?

Also, I want to thank-you for mentioning priceline on the SF forum. Saved me a bunch of $$! I was like--what is pstreet doing over here?? :-)

Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reserving car rentals...

"I Get Around, Round, Round; I Get Around." :)

Call the Avis International desk and get their rate. Verify with them that on-line quotes also include the manditory 3rd party insurance, and then start checking to see if you can beat the International Desk's rate. I always reserve with the desk--then cancel if I beat their rate.

I'm a great believer in Priceline (and www.biddingfortravel.com to find out how how I can go on a Priceline bid). : )

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reserving car rentals...

Pstreet,

I will try Avis for Jan-Feb. Yes, I went to the web-site you mentioned because I was so scared to do priceline(newbie) for SF and it helped me know what to do and I got the Hilton, Union Square for $75. for a Sat. nt. Needed to be by a wedding recep. and they accepted it first bid. Thanks! I was going to spend $159. I owe you one!

Now if only I could put in a cheap price on air to Cabo and get it!! Any suggestions? :-)

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reserving car rentals...

Unfortunately, no. But I've been thinking about trying Priceline for air sometime--sometime when I don't have a strict schedule and "the day of" is all I need. So far.......I haven't done it, but with prices where they are currently, I may get motivated. I do shop around for locations that I'd be willing to drive to to see if I can get a better fare. That used to work well, but with gasoline as high as it is and since driving someplace else often means a hotel there before the flight, too, that hasn't been working as well. I research air on www.bestfares.com (among other sites). It's an easy one to use.

7. Re: reserving car rentals...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, August 13, 2009