We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with places to stay!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with places to stay!!!

Hi, I am hoping someone will be able to help me. I am looking at traveling to Los Cabos in September on my honeymoon.

I have been looking up a few resorts in the area, but am having a hard time trying to decide. I am open to different options. I have looked at all-inclusive, European plans, condos, etc. I was hoping to receive some input from others.

I would definitely like something on the beach. I have heard that some beaches aren't swimmable. I would prefer to be on a beach where we can jump in the ocean and snorkel without having the fear of an undertow taking us out and drowning!!! ha ha. We also would probably prefer something that is close to town... within walking distance (either to Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.) However, I am open to staying somewhere in between if the cab rides to town won't be too expensive. How much are we looking to spend on cab rides?

I am also looking for some places we could possible eat. If we do all-inclusive we would still eat out in the town a couple times for dinner. I just don't want to get sick. Some authentic Mexican food and a lobster tail and I am in heaven!

Also, any recommendations on deep sea fishing? I would really like to try this one time. How much should I expect to pay for that?

I would prefer a resort/condo/etc. that isn't too much of a party place where we will be able to relax. I am guessing it won't be too bad since it's not spring break time.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

There are many good choices. Have your travel agent get you the Earth, Sea & Sky, Classic Mexico and perhaps, Pleasant Mexico brochures. For swimming beaches you might look at Twin Dolphin, Melia Cabo Real, Pueblo Bonito Resorts, Melia San Lucas. Some good choices that are not on a swimming beach would be Playa Grande, Finisterra, Solmar, Villa La Estancia, The Westin, and there are even more. As for fishing, Yachtmerchant and Trapper recommend several good ones. It will be a tad bit humid in Sep., but unless there is a storm, the weather will be okay. You might also take a look at www.loscabosguide.com for suggestions on just about everything!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

For a honeymoon the perfect place will be Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach is a 5 star hotel and the view from everyroom is breathtaken. However you can't swin at their beach but they have 2 other resorts in Cabo San Lucas and they have a free shuttle I think every 1/2 hour back and forth from each resort and you can use the beach and all the facilities at this resorts and from there you can walk to town. I own a timeshare at Sunset and is the best place to be in Cabos. Read the reviews about the Sunset and you will see for yourself. If you are interested I may be able to rent you my timeshare there. Contact me if you like - pandorodriguez@netzero.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

Wahhutch9-

I was in Cabo this last past September, I have been in love with Cabo for close to 15 years, and have been blessed to travel around the world but still prefer cabo. I have a dear friend who is lucky enough to be retired at 35 has travelled to each continent and Cabo is their fav place.

Any all that said, Cabo doesnt get much rain but when it does it is usually in Sept. Also when they do get hurricanes they usually are in September as well. This is my favorite place in the world but being a recent bride myself wanted to give this info.

Happy Travelling!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

Wahhutch9-

I was in Cabo this last past September, I have been in love with Cabo for close to 15 years, and have been blessed to travel around the world but still prefer cabo. I have a dear friend who is lucky enough to be retired at 35 has travelled to each continent and Cabo is their fav place.

Any all that said, Cabo doesnt get much rain but when it does it is usually in Sept. Also when they do get hurricanes they usually are in September as well. This is my favorite place in the world but being a recent bride myself wanted to give this info.

Happy Travelling!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

Wahhutch9-

Happy Travelling!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

If you are interested in something a little more authentic Mexican, sort of mission style, try out the Hotel Hacienda Beach Resort. We stayed there last May and it was wonderful. It is on the best swimming beach in Cabo near calm waters, has a wonderfully friendly staff who will know you by first name after day one, and is within walking distance to town and the marina. We walked to town every day and loved it...never rented a car!! The Beach or Dune cabanas are the best and very private. You can find a lot of feedback and advice in the hotel forum on this website. Keep in mind - it is not an upscale highrise with a ton of modern technology - but will give you a great flare of the Mexican culture. It is quiet and there were not many kids during our visit. We are staying at the Villa Del Palmar this April due to a timeshare offer but will definitely go back to the Hacienda in the future.

The one place we LOVED to eat and will re-visit in April is the old Trailer Park. Unfortunately, the round trip cab ride is $20 and the meal will cost about $100 if you have a Margarita or 2. But, the lobster and filet were EXCELLENT!!! The owner will ensure you are completely satisfied!!

No comments on fishing - but be sure to go to Lover's Beach and to hit the straw market before you shop anywhere else. It is only open when the cruise ships are at port. The prices are much better than in town and the locals love to barter.

Have fun!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with places to stay!!!

I love Cabo, been there three times now, about to go for my forth, but I felt I should tell you that the climate isn't the best in Sept. The first time I went was Sept of 2000 and the humidity was awful. Temps during the day were high, but the humidity took a lot of the fun out of our trip. Pretty much the entire time you were outside you were standing there sweating. Sad to say we were relieved every time we returned to our hotel.

I like to think of myself as someone to "grin and bear" it, but for the money you spend to go there, you should have nice weather too, especially for your honeymoon. Maybe that was a bad year...but personally I wouldn't go in Sept if I had a choice.