We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
B G
Camden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

Heading to Cabo for the first time in 8 days. I am wondering if it is less expensive to purchase excursions/activities prior to arriving to our resort at Cabo? I know sights like Expedia, Orbtiz, and Travelocity offer activities and I am thinking about buying now because things might be more from vendors on the resort. A major concern I have with pre purchasing the activities, is that I will be locked into a specific day and time, and I would be unable to opt out if there is bad weather. Thoughts or suggestions? I hear swimming with the dolphins is a must and I would like to do a sunset cruise with my wife.

Thanks in advance,

B

Ronan, Montana
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

We booked a dinner cruise, atv tour and fishing charter and prepaid all three. Don't think weather is really going to be an issue so have the whole week planned as to what we're doing and when.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

We normally book our expensive excursions in advance (private transport, Fishing, Cabo Escape, Jet Pack, sail boat), the other stuff, not so much. There are days when we just like to veg, and hate to plan every minute of our trip.

Rather than booking our excursions through second hand vendors, we always book with the vendors directly. You might also think about checking the Cabo Passport Card. They can often gain you substantial discounts (50%) on quite a few activities from paddle boards, jet skis, snorkeling tours, sailing, etc. We don't use our card much for dining, although many others here do, but it absolutely shines for us for excursions.

El Pescadero, Mexico
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

We always deal direct with the operator when we are doing something like that. We ask for a discount from the published price too and usually get it based on the fact that they aren't paying a commission to anyone.

B G
Camden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

Just as an example...if you read my post called Zaragoza Restaurant Row...you will see that one restaurant took down both Chicamundo and me...with one meal! We were both out of total commission the next day and she had big plans for going to San Jose for the Art Walk, etc. Now if 2 old time Mexico veterans can get taken down...think about what could happen to you. Having paid in advance for your tours...you would be out of luck...unless they would be nice enough to change dates...but maybe...maybe not. Too sick to go and talk to them...they don't read their emails, you have no phone contact...you understand...I am sure.

There are as many activity people selling stuff around town as there are massage parlors...so you will NOT have any problems booking any of them. It is important to read what is being offered...make notes as to which ones you are wanting to do...and what those prices are on line. That will give you the needed information when you are walking around the Marina area or at your hotel. The informed buyer saves the most money and gets what they really want.

As was suggested check out the Cabo passport Card...

6. Re: Paying for excursions in Cabo prior to arriving......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 04, 2015