We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

Has Cabo really changed so much since I was last there? OK, that was years ago, but still...

I am looking for a hotel, on the beach, but NOT some resort with a pool (who swims in a pool when they are in Mexico?) and definitely NOT a time share situation.

I suppose I would be willing to stay one block off the beach for a place with charm, character, views of the ocean, and a balcony.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

How long ago were you there? What is your budget..

The "timeshare" description may throw you off some really good properties.. Why throw those out?

What are your needs and wants? The resort are mostly timeshare properties but no need to have that be a worry...

You want a resort on the beach with no pool? hmmmm.....

I love a pool:)) and the beach too!!

Give us some more info so we can be of good help!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,412 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

>>who swims in a pool when they are in Mexico?<<

Lots & lots of people. In Los Cabos, some folks are swimming in the pool because the ocean is dangerous and "unswimmable" in front of their resort.

If you need a swimmable beach, then your choices will be more restricted. And all the beach front resorts have pools, but you don't need to swim in them.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

Who swims at a pool in Mexico????? Just about everyone I know......your looking for a hotel on the beach without a pool???? Good luck with that

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,060 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

With the majority of the beaches being non-swimming, we pretty much all use the pools ;) Don't know when you were there last, but if it's been more than a couple of years, you will see lots of growth! Still, the beaches haven't changed-most are non-swimming, except for Medano in town.

If you rent from an owner at one of the time share/resorts, you don't have to do the tour, and don't pay too much ;) I think we need more info. to help, but also, take a look at the Top Question section for some possible answers.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
703 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

Hi Real, yeah all the hotels in cabo have pools...okay now to answer the question, the only hotel on the beach is the RIU, all of the others are timeshare resorts. That said you can get some time resorts that are timeshare on redweek.com or vbro.com . You can check out the section here on TA about hotels there are some nice "boutique" hotels in town that might work for you, but as others have indicated you only mentioned you did not want a pool, we could be more helpful if you told us what amenities you were seeking.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

The only place that might fit what you want is :- The Fairfield Marriott. It is off the beach but you can walk to the beach. It is not a timeshare. Here is the link for the Hotel.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

There's the little Bahia Hotel one block from Medano Beach! :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

I too am looking for a hotel in Los Cabos that isn't part of a timeshare. I do not want to deal with people trying to sell me something when I want to just relax on a little vacation. Ive read plenty reviews of obnoxious salespeople, or if you tell them you aren't interested, not being treates the same. Id rather just avoid all that. Are all the beaches really unswimmable? (maybe this isnt where I want to go) What about towards San Jose del Cabo? So far, I am going to look up the two hotels mentioned in this thread and then I heard Terrasol? Riu and Riu Santa Fe, Esperanza, Palmilla, Mar de Cortez, Siesta Suites and Los MIlagros. I haven't checked them out yet, but saw it on another thread.

Personally, if someone wants to help me out (sorry original poster), I am trying to find a place in the 500-800 dollar range for 3 nights. I would like all-inclusive. Beach front. And...Drink service is important to me. I want good drinks. haha. I am considering not inclusive properties, but the appeal is there.

I am flying from Las Vegas, so, If there is somewhere else cheap to fly that might have better resort options then Los Cabos, I am all ears. :)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,060 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

I don't think all "timeshare" resorts will bother people that much. I have had friends rent my Playa Grande unit several times, since I usually can't go in late Nov/early Dec., and once you get your little "free drink" coupon and tell them you are not going to be doing any tours of the properties, they don't bother you again. I simply tell those that rent my place to just nicely say no thanks, and it has worked perfectly. They have not been bothered at all.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach hotel - NOT resort/time share

The all-inclusives out on the corridor are pretty much all on non-swimmable beaches except for the Melia Cabo Real which has a cove-like area that you can get into without getting getting sucked out to sea.

The resorts on Medano Beach are very nice places. If you throw them out because they are timeshares you are disqualifying some of the best places in Cabo. Just say no thanks to timeshare tour offers and keep going. Besides, it's not just at the resorts where you get pitched. It happens on the street, in restaurants, in the grocery stores and pretty much every other place you go. Besides, the timeshare tour requests you get around town are NOTHING compared to the gauntlet of timeshare salesmen you will have to endure in order to get out of the airport. Or the scores of beach vendors trying to sell you hats, t-shirts, cheap jewelry, Henna tatoos and hair braids. Hundreds of thousands of people visit Cabo every year and love it there. Some love it so much they go back there to live. None of those people obsess over timeshare or other sales pitches.

As far as pools go, every place on the beach has them. Some have several. And until they figure out how to get a swim-up bar in the ocean, I'm spending happy hour in the pool.