We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Getting Sick (post tips)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NYC
1 post
Save Topic
Not Getting Sick (post tips)

I remember once reading about an Over-the-Counter medication to take prior to going to mexico to avoid stomach sickness (a pill). It was once posted on this forum. Can anyone recall. Does anyone remember the name of it?

Also, might anyone have any tips on what to avoid and how to avoid it. I've been to mexico 6 times and am yet to escape w/out getting the good old "runny flu."

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

It was not the stay down there, water nor the food. In our case it was the airplane. Sinus problems for alot of travelers, at the same time which we went. When we got back, I heard that nasal spray is what we should have used to keep our nasal passages wet. Once dry open to all sorts of #*/+.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

I too think it is the lacto you are looking for. I took it because of recommendations on this website....I don't think I would have gotten sick anyway. Very stomach friendly in Los Cabos...in fact so almost American, if it weren't for the beautiful geography, I wouldn't have liked it very much. It is gorgeous and should be enjoyed...but it is very Americanized. I am trying PV next trip.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

Hey Snowman, I agree-a lot of the problems stem from being cooped up on a plane-breathing "recycled" germs!!! The acidophilus bacteria is in yogurt-that replenishes the "good bugs" and it is also in pill form from the drug stores and health food stores. I used to take it, but haven't in years. Just eat a banana and plain yogurt every morning..............;-)

California
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

Mrob,

We went to PV in November. We loved it. However, we stayed in Nuevo vallarta...."New vallarta" We loved it. It was less crowded that old PV and the beaches were so much nicer and the resorts were awesome. We stayed at the Mayan Palace which was great because Mayan has 3 resorts in a row there The Mayan Place, The brand new Grand Mayan, and the Sea garden. You have access to all three resorts and all are on the beach and within walking distance to each other. To get to town, it was a 10 -15 minute cab ride or bus ride. I would reccomend PV definitly.....As far as Mazatlan however, I will never go back there.

Cabo_nut

moi
nj
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

Recommendations from some doctor's and others is to take ONE and only ONE Pepto pill per day. I've done it on trips to islands in other countries with questionable drinking water, and I had no problems. Stick to bottled water, and watch out for ice, anything washed in water (such as salads). Like others said, keep hydrated, because being hydrated and then drinking lots of fluids can have a "cleansing" effect. Also, rice is good to keep "things" solid. If you stomach is normally sensitive, don't overdo it with foods you would not "normally" eat...but Mexican food is delicious!

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

If you are being cautious, I'd avoid street vendors and any fruit or vegetables, though we ate fruit and had no problem. Diarrhea may be caused by lots of alcohol consumption, rather than foods. Also bring or buy bottled water, don't drink tap.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

Did someone say 8 pepto a day?????Wow! We do the 1 pepto a day and it works great.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

Being a yogurt fan, I usually have plain yogurt and a banana for breakfast-not for prevention, but because I like it-it does, however, replenish the "good bugs" in you system. We eat anything we want-drink tap water, etc., and have not had problems. I think using standard caution is advisable.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Not Getting Sick (post tips)

One of the common tricks used is to take Pepto bismal in small doses daily for a few days before getting here and for a few days after getting here to helpyour stomach become adjusted to the food.

Here in Mexico not everything is pasturized, homogenized, sterlized and sanitized but in general the bacteria are not harmful they are just something you are not used to.

Another thing to watch is getting dehydrated (too much Beer only) abd the "crema" in the taco stands. Mexicans are not in the habit of refrigerating mayonasie, they just stir it up if it seperatesand this can give you the revenge if your system is not used to it.