We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you pay for airfare?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What do you pay for airfare?

We are coming from DFW and plan to do so nonstop. For the longest time, airfare was 650+. We had considered going down to Austin to fly out (our flights would stop in DFW, only for us to get one the same non stop flights!!) for $200 cheaper pp!

Airfare went down one day, then continued. Now It's at $531 RT PP - with nonstop flights out of DFW. And it's been there for over a week, with one scare yesterday when it went up to $616 for the same flights yesterday.

Think it might go down/go up?

I'm not very familar with airfare to Cabo, so that's why I'm asking!

Thanks!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,442 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

Yapta.com will watch your flights................check to see if AA refunds if the price drops after being purchased. If so, you may want to go ahead and book. It is not uncommon for trips to be cheaper like the one you discovered out of Austin.............always been crazy like that. Just a load factor sort of thing.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

Airfare out of St. Louis has been running $395 roundtrip with a connection in Dallas or Chicago. I looked at flying non-stop out of Chicago, would drive there to do so, but it was more expensive.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

also try Kayak

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

When are you traveling...that makes a big difference.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
994 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

We booked in October for our April trip and surprisingly the same flight still has seats, unheard of from any of the previous years. I've been checking the flights occassionally because one couple in our group hasn't booked their flights yet. So far the flight is up about $75 from what we paid three months ago. Usually by the time we fly the prices are up over $250. I don't recall it ever going down, albiet for a day maybe, then right back up.

We live in Colorado Springs but opt to drive to Denver to save the $200 a ticket for leaving from CS since it has to stop in Denver anyway. Once we learned the hotels near the airport will let you park your car for 1/3 of the cost of parking at the airport, we've been saving quite a bit on transportation. Our process for travelling to Cabo gets better every trip! :)

Arizona
Level Contributor
878 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

from 2001-2004, non-stop from PHX was under $400 RT. since about 2007, fares have kept going up, in Oct 2013 it was $686 for the 2 hour non-stop flight. There are a lot of options if you're willing to make a stop or 2 - but for us, USAirways is our only choice for non-stop to SJD. Keep watching and set up for alerts.

be sure to delete your cookies, or the airline website will remember you 're searching for "that" flight.

right now, for our trip in Oct this year - it's $700 - I hope it drops.....

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

It's ridiculous how much airfare has gone up in just the last 5 years or so! Reading what others pay, $513 doesn't sound too bad at all!

Austin is out of the question now, considering they now only allow a connecting flight to Austin from DFW that requires an overnight layover. So we could spend the night at our house, go back and fly to Austin then drive home to dfw! hahaha. Otherwise, same day service is less than $100 difference between the Nonstop flight and the austin option - and that's just not worth the hassle.

Louisville
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

Between $600-800 pp out out Louisville...smh

Using points this time around, used Expedia package last time that cut the airline fees down by a few hundred apiece.

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

I know this is probably is not of interest to you guys, but I think we got a really good price for airfares - £750 each from London, England - not sure what that is in dollars - I'll let you do the math!. Considering how far we are travelling, I'm really happy with that.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you pay for airfare?

It just gets oh so frustrating because one minute, the rewards points offer is the amount and flights we need, the next minte, they're gone! Then a few hours later or the next day, they'll reappear again.

Now that we Finally have our dates set and know that we won't have anyone joining us, we can finally book! And of course, the amount of points we need goes up!

(we're buying one ticket with points and another with a voucher we have)