We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage question: just take a carry on?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux City, Iowa
12 posts
Save Topic
Baggage question: just take a carry on?

Need advice . Any benefit to just taking a carry on and NOT checking a bag ? Leave in 2days for Cabo. Staying a week. I change planes twice. Concerned with chance bag wont make the trip with me. Lol. But on the other hand the whole carry on things a pain too. Whats your advice. Thank you !

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

If you can live out of a carry on for a week it has it's benefits, you will be ahead of everyone else on your plane as you won't have to wait to pick up your checked bag, get off the plane and head to immigration.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

I could never do it but a lot of people do and I am surprised how organized they are and how many times they are not wearing the same thing. :-) Summer clothing doesn't take up much room and it sure is nice not to have to wait for luggage. Still will have to go through the red/green light but with a carry on you should breeze through. With 2 layovers it might be a good idea.

Have fun!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
261 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

If as a woman traveling for a week I could go carry on only, I would! I think a week is a long time and if you have to sacrifice taking what you really want, I wouldn't do it.

Also, with the baggage fees, so often there are too many bags to fit in the cabin, and they force you to check it anyway (but for free). It would suck if you packed less and were forced to check anyway.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

Having only carry on will not help you get thru immigration any faster (although sitting up front might). Depending on the line at immigration, your bags may already be there and there is no advantage. If you get thru immigration fast, then you will be able to go directly thru customs without waiting for your bags.

The disadvantage is you are limited on your liquids per TSA. If you can live with that, great. Most people pack way too much anyway.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

I would love to be able to do that, but just haven't managed yet. I couldn't get all those things for the kiddos, etc. into just a carry on ;) I take as little as possible in my carry-on these days-just the things I can't do w/o-like make up LOL .........and my bag will fit under the seat, which helps. Hate paying for a bag, but.........

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

We went for a week to Cozumel with a carry-on each... and brought our travel snorkel gear! The up side is the knowledge that your stuff will arrive with you. The down side is that you have to buy your sun screen there which is a few more dollars. We find that we usually pack way too much, so scale down, buy your liquids there, and you'll be fine.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

We do cabo in June, so it's shorts, a few shirts, buy some shirts there, target has the 4oz plastic bottles for a buck, we do the sun screen in those....easy to do in a carry on. It took a little coaxing to get my wife to do it, but now not an issue...saves us the money the airlines charge for checked baggage, we fly through immigration, just a very easy way to do Cabo.

Sherwood, Oregon
Level Contributor
256 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

I can totally do a carry on - pushing it though. However I never do due to the high cost of sunscreen and the amount I personally use even on a 5 day trip :(

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

As A man its not a problem. I always travel with a carry on (except for golf clubs). And They did lose my clubs (twice) !!

You can get clothes washed, folded in town. Most resorts have a service and some have Do It Yourself machines.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage question: just take a carry on?

Mrstish, if taking a large tube of sunscreen is the only thing stopping you from only taking a carry-on, there is no reason to continue doing that. Just go to your doctor and have them write a prescription for the sunscreen. Put it in a large (gallon sized) zip lock bag along with the prescription. When you go through security, simply place that bag separately in one of the bins and declare that you have prescription liquid larger than the 100 ml limit. No one blinked an eye when I did it on my last trip.