We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cabo San Lucas...
3 posts
Save Topic
Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

Hello

I am a single 33 year old guy who has been in cabo for 4 days.

I love it here but I am a bit lonely.

I want to go out and enjoy teh scene, which I have, but its difficult since I am also alone.

I no longer drink so that also makes it hard.

Anyone haev any ideas on what I can do? I like people a lot but I am rather shy. I'd love to find some other people to mingle with.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

You don't have to drink (and yay-you) to still go to places like Rips, and the bars on Medano.........they all happily serve iced tea, etc., and you will be able to mingle and meet lots of folks. It just 'feels' hard to not be drinking since you probably aren't used to it yet...........just have a coke or something, and strike up a conversation.............people are super friendly, and love meeting new folks! Where are you staying?

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,755 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

We would have showed you around if we were there!! Kat is right~ Try to get a conversation started in town or at your resort to find some folks to hang out with...

I just saw your town is Cabo..Are you living there?

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
695 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

just a brief observation...but MWM doesn't that stand for married white male??

Cabo San Lucas...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

Ha MWM is my initials.

Yes I just drink coke. I've been clean and sober for 9 years. It's not a huge issue. But being alone here is kinda lonely and a drink would help the social anxiety.

Seems like lots of couples here. I'd like to meet some women or a group of guys. I'm at playa grande. Thanks for everyone's responses

And no I'm from mn but visiting cabo

Edited: 6:54 pm, January 16, 2014
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

no, it really wouldn't help the social anxiety..........or not for long, as then you would add quilt, etc. 9 years is great! Congrats! I'm looking forward to my 21st year in June, and have loved every second! I may be lucky, but being in Cabo with friends at the bar doesn't bother me-though it occasionally makes new friends uncomfortable at first. I truly understand that trying to strike up a conversation with strangers when one is sober isn't easy-especially being on the shy side, but it only takes a few words of Hi, and how are you to break the ice. I was at my SBC week alone last May for the first time, and just started saying hi to those next to me. Figured the worst that could happen was they might give me weird looks and move ;) Trust an old, sober Mom-just give it a try..........head into town and look for some Caboholic t-shirts-I think a few of them don't drink, but they all seem friendly!

Atlantic Highlands...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

Hey man. 12 and 1/2 years myself. Sometimes thoughts sound better in my head than they really are.

Hit a meeting. Recharge. And enjoy Cabo. Best part is you will remember it.

Tim.

Cabo San Lucas...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

Its ok guys I am not tempted to relapse. But sometimes my social anxiety is pretty intense in situations that are unfamiliar. But I will stay strong.

8. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, January 16, 2014
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

I am down here and traveling alone...and I meet the nicest people just having breakfast along the marina. I met people sitting on a funny wooden bench down by the cruise ship pier looking at my map...they wanted to see it, and found out I was here for the winter and we talked for over an hour.

This morning I ate at a restaurant and afterwards went walking with the 2 couples that I met that had been around here for 4 and 5 days and had not left the Wyndham or the Marina sidewalk. We had lots of fun.

You don't have to drink to have fun...that is one of the reasons that I have done my Walking Around Cabo videos...as I think alcohol plays way too big of a role for Cabo as a destination. I barely drink...but certainly don't need to ever go into a bar to meet up with people...I find them everywhere.

You are in a great hotel location...walk down to the Marina sidewalk...and when you see the Sector Naval...keep walking and go to Cannery Beach...just walk and watch the water sports that are around there...it is a beautiful beach and I have met some of the nicest Mexican families there...they speak English and some are locals on their day off...others are here on vacation from mainland Mexico. Opportunities for all kinds of fun learning about their destination.

Don't even consider a drink...there are so many fun places that are not bars...and be so proud of yourself and your accomplishment...you are already a winner...and people will want to be your friend. Just go out there...and open your eyes to what opportunities there are...wear that smile...and you will have a great time.

Sioux City, Iowa
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Dude Alone in Cabo and Lonely

I can understand your anxiety . I too will be in Cabo next Wed. and am traveling solo. Good advice on this thread that i plan on using ! TravelJudy always has great input. Cyclone 24's advice is great! I'm gonna buy a round and see what happens ! I see he's from DSM . i'm in Sioux City Iowa .... Of course will be selective of the bar nd how many people are there . Lol . Do a search on traveling solo in Cabo. I posted similar question awhile back . Had great advice from people on here. Its an adventure! As a divorced man , will be my first vacation without a wife or my children. Mixed emotions . If i can do it you can too. Hang in there! Enjoy !

Edited: 9:24 pm, January 16, 2014