We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

I am an experienced road rider and was wondering if there are any paved roads that I can train on while on vacation with my family.

It looks like only the main highway is paved and I'm not sure if it's a safe place to ride.

If not, are the dirt roads sandy and unrideable with skinny tires? Mountain biking is not an option for me.

Any help would be appreciated as I will go through widthdrawl if I don't get to ride my bike.

Thanks,

Michael

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,527 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

Michael,

Hate to break it to ya but you might have to go through withdrawls. It would not be safe to ride on the roads there. Have not found good mountain biking either. There is always the stationery bikes in the gym---I know boring-- but better then nothing. ;-)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
2. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

Michael,

One possibility would be the toll road from the airport to central San Jose. The actual road condition is quite good, and i've ridden worse roads in regards to safety. There's a pretty healthy shoulder (appx 4ft), and the traffic is normally pretty lite. However, it's still a highway, and vehicles will be traveling at quite high speeds. I would suggest extra's tubes, and a fully equip patch kit. Would also advise to ride along with a buddy.

One of these days, I would like to ride from San Francisco to Cabo. Might have to hire Yacht to man the sag wagon. I doubt he would go for it, being he would start feeling land locked after the first 48 hours.

If the airfare doesn't start going down, this ride may happen sooner than expected!

Cheers - Mike

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

No highway biking please. I see a few bike riders each time I drive, and there IS NOT enough room. 2 tractor trailers passing in opposite directions with a bike rider on the side (there normally is no shoulder) does not work.

On the narrowist section of road, truck trailers are over the road edge and mirrors miss each other with less than 12 inches clearance.

It is NOT SAFE!

Dirt roads will not work for your road bike.

Rogers, MN
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

haddawad-Ditto on the above posts -I would definately NOT recommend riding a bike anywhere in Cabo - it sometimes is challenging driving a car - have withdrawal - and give up the bike for your vacation!!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

I am not a cycler, but if "Ironman Cabo Mike" says it. It is good information.

Par

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
6. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

Que Pasa Par? I'm headed down to Cabo next weekend, what's the chances your mug is still plastered up at Redrum? The scary thing is, that mug gets better looking when i'm stumbling back to my room in the early morning hours - I really got to cut back on my Don Julio consumption!

Far as the bike safety goes, I would not recommend riding anywhere on the corridor. However, if you have to get your training in, the toll road is really not that bad. Heck, Highway 1 here in CA is ten fold worse.

Par - i can't claim 'iron' quite yet, but we are getting closer

Saludo - mike

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Road Cycling in Cabo San Lucas

Good to hear from you Mike. My mug is still up, only its at a bar on a dart board somewhere! If you can handle pulling a rikshaw with your bike, I would be glad to join you on the ride to Cabo. I heard through the grapevine you are EXTREMELY close to iron. Congrats and good luck.

Par