We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

Hi,

I really hope this isn't a stupid question since I know most people will automatically say Cabo so here's the scoop: We are planning our first trip to Mexico for the Sept/Oct period and want to make sure that we are making the right decision.

We have narrowed it down to the Westin in Cabo or Le Meridien in Cancun. The reviews for Meridien seem excellent on this site but the photos don't compare to the Westin Cabo. Has anyone been to both/either that can enlighten us?

We've obviously never been to either (1st trip to Mexico) but from what i gather it seems that Cabo is trendier and more of a desert locale while Cancun is more tropical and known for it's beaches. Fair statement?

Quick background: We're a couple in our late 20's that are looking to both relax and have a good time. Not going to necessarily party everynight but looking for some nice places to eat and some good bars/lounges to go to at night.

We're coming from NJ so the flight is longer and more expensive to Cabo (there's a connection which adds to the lengh). Is it worth the extra travel time/expense?

I guess our biggest fear is that Cancun is going to be cheesy and very overrun with chains. I posted a simliar question on the cancun forum and the majority of folks highly favored Cancun. Not trying to start any trouble :-) but thought i'd post something similiar here to get a fair balance.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
#4 of 75 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
#5 of 75 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo Vista Hotel
Cabo Vista Hotel
#6 of 75 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,725 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

I have not stayed at either of those properties, but my first concern is about the weather. I feel you will have less chance of storms in Baja then Cancun.

While I absolutely loved Cancun, that was many years ago, when it was something like Cabo is now.........small, friendly, lovely....I fear it has grown way too much these days, so I would look toward the Riviera Maya if going that direction. Cabo has also grown, from a tiny little village with one main, dirt streen, and no marina, etc., to what it is today, but it still has a lot of charm, and then there is San Jose and all the surrounding area.

You are right about the desert vs. tropical...........and the white limestone sand in Cancun is incredible! Never hot! There are not a lot of swimming beaches in Cabo, so if that is important, choose carefully. The restaurants are excellent, and Trapper has a great list of choices. There are some excellent shopping places, and Baja definitely is as much an attitude as a destination. I wouldn't presume to say one is definitely the best. My personal preference is Cabo, but then, I am on the west coast and it's close, so that helps. Let me say, if I had a chance to move to either one, I would pick Baja, hands down though ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
San Jose
San Jose
California
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

Hi, I've only been to Cabo so I can't comment on Cancun yet, however maybe next year :) Coincedently, it was at the Westin which I have to say is Beautiful. The infinity pools and views are amazing. The rooms immacualte and well appointed. However, it is a bit isolated. Since you're young and there's only 2 I believe you would appreciate the "honeymoon" atmosphere at the Westin and it would be an easy cab ride into town for the nightlife/activities But be prepared for the cab rides! Most people your age would probably prefer to stay in/closer to the Town of Cabo San Lucas where all the action is. The weather and general scenery is something I'd never experienced anywhere (grew up in Cali) My best decription of Cabo is the desert meeting the ocean. And of course it being Mexico ,Cabo is all about The Tourist and the villages where the locals live (Mexican) is very poor. But worth venturing into for local color.(some people get put off by this) But not everywhere in the world is the great USA!

Some people in the reviews have complained about those aspects of Mexico but they need to gain more knowledge and cultural enlightenment to appreciate a vacation away from the states. That being said I would highly recommend the Westin Cabo!! Have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa...
2,041 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

I So agree tedandlisa90

We have toured some very poor villages in Playa del Carmen - they are so very friendly and can make anything in the world with their hands and sell it for so little – is amazing – I agree that one should venture out and explore the culture when visiting a country like Mexico – I enjoy visiting them, as they enjoy our visit and company - is a great learning experience that everyone should gain, respect as well as realize what a great country we live in!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,725 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

I agree, getting away from the main tourist areas is a must, if at all possible, no matter where you are traveling! It is the only way to get the true feel of what life is like. This was never brought home to me as much as it was when I got off the "beaten path" in China Town in San Francisco.......where I have been zillions of times. Having had a lovely trip that included Hong Kong and China, then wandering the back streets of China Town.......it was like being back in the Orient! The only thing missing were the ducks hanging on the balcony's. Makes a huge difference to the travel experience.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

Thanks for the tips. Couldn't agree more about seeing all that a place has to offer to truly take in the host city/country.

Thanks again.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

Been to both(cancun area 13 X) Cabo(1X)...Can't beat the beaches in the Riviera maya...white sand & blue/green colored water...cabo water is dark blue & definately colder than the Carribean Sea...however IMHO are 2 completely different places. Cancun hotel zone is very American(mcdonalds, hard rock, ect.) great discos & clubs. Cancun centro(downtown) old style mexico with great restaurants. Riviera Maya , quieter than cancun & almost untouched(other than playa del carmen which is built up). I am going back to cabo in Jan. & March '07...Being from CT. & seeing the mountains is very cool, Cabo is a great place to see also...Do what I do go to both & check them out.If you want more info on Cancun & the surronding area maybe I can help...e-mail me directly

Miker10406@aol.com

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

We just return from Cabo our first time and were extremely disappointed. Cabo is like being in Southern California with loads of time share people (from the waiter at the restaurant to your maid at the hotel). You receive no peace in Cabo. Constant harrassment from time-share folks and vendors (not just the street, all over). We go to Mexico a lot (7 times last year, 5 so far this year), we are a couple 40 years old, like to play, but also like to relax, Playa del Carmen, just south of Cancun is great. Cancun is like a college frat party, and Playa is very much scaled down, but a party is available if you want it or peace and solitude is also available. The beaches are better in the Yucatan, and you get a different mix of people (a lot of Europeans). We would love to offer suggestions if you tell us what you are looking for. Good luck on your search.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
California
California
United States
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
2,047 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

I have not been to Cabo, but I can tell you Cancun is underrated. I am so tired of hearing people say Cancun is commercialized.... It's really not that commercialized... There are a lot of things to do... but it's not like a thriving metropolis....... If you are looking for BLUE waters --- the Carribean is the way to go...... It is absolutely beautiful and the sands are white...... I am looking at a picture I have hanging on my wall of the beach.... and it is beautiful!!!! If I went to Cabo and they did not have the same blue waters as Cancun I would be terribly disappointed...... I have a friend that has been to many beaches included Hawaii and he said the Carribean/Mexico has some of the best beaches in the world

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
866 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

Depending where in NJ you are from, Continental flies to Cabo non-stop from Newark.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
California
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo vs. Cancun HELP

I know this thread is done but thought I would say I agree that Cancun is underrated I have been to both. I live in California and I have gone to Cancun 8 weeks to 2 weeks in favor of Cancun (Paid alot more for airfaire but think its worth it ). they have different appeals but you can get both in Cancun/Mexican Rivera (just South of Cancun Strip)

I would go back to Cabo again for Fishing or if i get a great deal on Airfare since I have a timeshare that includes a resort in Cabo. I loved Cancun so much I stoped tradding/excanging my timeshare for Cancun and supplemented my timeshare with the purchase of some 25 vacation trips to PalaceResorts in CanCun. ( Still have a few Ruins and Isla Muleres? isle of the ladies to see.. ) Cancun and Hawaii have the best snorkling and diving in the world ( ok only places I really have had a chance to do this) (would not try this in Cabo in July) Which is when I usually go.. ( Also make sure you take in to consideration time of year and weather would not do Cancun after (late June/early July) I have had one huricane event in July (another story but have a week off every year in 1st week of July Living on the edge hehe )

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
California
California
United States
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico