We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
eastern washington
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

is the walk from the resorts on the Pacific side to downtown Cabo difficult?

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

Not at all difficult. About a 15 minute walk to Marina and maybe 20-25 to downtown. We always walk into town, have a few toddies, eat dinner and take a $6.00 taxi back to Grand Solmar.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

For us , walking is the only thing keeping us from packing on 20 lbs per week ! All that great food and drink in Cabo......

In all honesty , the GS/PG hill to get TO the resorts is a good workout. PG is shorter but still great. We do our best to walk home after dinners but if it's too hot , or we simply ate too much , the cab is a nice treat. The other thing we do is hop on a bicitaxi back towards the resort. They can't peddle up the hill so you still have to walk it , and we do like that.

The Marina is right at the bottom of the hill. Once you leave the properties , you are right at the Marina. The walk around the Marina is flat , as is most of the rest of the downtown core area. Once you leave the main area , it's slightly uphill heading away from the water. Still an easy walk. We see more people walking to and from the resorts than taking taxis. Enjoy your trip !!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

HEW24...My friend is staying at the Playa Grande...and she just had a serious knee situation...is there any "cart" or way for her to be taken down that driveway...(to level land)...so she can walk along the Marina? Was just going to post this exact question...and here it is...with your mention of that steep hill!! Thanks for your response.

I know there are cabs...but was thinking there must be some means of transportation down that hill. Walking along the Marina to restaurants, etc. won't be much of a problem for her...just up and down that hill...and she really doesn't want a cab for such a short distance (and she is cheap like me!!!)...

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,033 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

Judy-they should shuttle her to the foot of the hill in their vans!!!!!!!!!! Especially since she has a knee problem. Just tell her to ask at the front desk! Getting back up the hill might be a bit trickier for her however-but they may be able to arrange something for that also!

As to the walk............I can get to the marina (where the tenders come in) from PG and SBC in about 5 mins., and into the area by Solomons in about another 5 or less :) and one can also walk to Medano Beach in around 30-35 mins. if you don't stop to peruse things :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

They don't like to take the vans anywhere off the property , which is pretty much only between PG and GS. I'm not sure if it's an insurance thing or what. I know other people have asked and they don't like to do it. Earlier in the construction of GS , they would take you to the bottom of the hill but not so much now.

As KatD says , I would ask and for someone with a medical issue , you would hope they would accomodate. The carts for GS will not go past the security gate at GS unless it's something for the resort. They used to drive us right to the round-a-bout where the buses are a couple years back.

Your friend will probably have to take a taxi when returning to the resort. If from just the bottom of the hill , I'm sure a few $$ will get her there.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,033 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

I know GS will drive folks to the foot of the hill............would think with medical problems would get some help.

OR...........have the quit taking people just to the bottom of the hill, where the bike taxi's are???????? I hope to heck they will drive you down! Cripes, it's the least they can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,981 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

Takes us 5 mins. to walk from either G.S. or P.G. to the marina. Another 5 to get into town. It can be a challenge for anyone with mobility issues due to the hill.

Usually, if you tell the guys that call the shuttle bus that you have a mobility issue and need to be dropped off at the bottom of the hill, they will do that for you without a problem. However, as was mentioned, it would be difficult to get them to come pick you up from the bottom of the hill because they'd have no way of knowing that you're down there. You might have to walk as far as the P.G. guard shack to request assistance. Or, you can try prearranging a time for pickup?

Or, maybe ask one of the cabs that park on the side street of the marina (near the taco trucks) if they would give you a cheap ride up the hill. A couple of bucks, perhaps? It's only a 30-second ride for them, so an easy couple of bucks to be made.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

OK...so second question...can guests walk into Playa Grande...to meet up with a friend staying there...and sit with the friend around the pool...or at the restaurant. She is NOT doing all inclusive...so that is not the situation. I was hoping to have her get a cart down to the entrance...then meet her there and then walk to the Marina where it is all smooth walking for a nice meal and some shopping...and she will be ok. I am just worried with her recent horrible injury that if the road is the least bit slippery, little rocks that would make her slip...that she could be more injured and then back into her full leg brace which will make flying home a real tough situation. She WILL NOT cancel this trip...so that is not an option!!!

Thanks for your responses...knew all of you would chime in and help!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

I believe there are visiting hours. Just ask unless someone else here knows that.

What we do and i suggest for her to do , meet in town or near the Marina. Hop a taxi and go in together. No mention of visitor and all is well. We have walked in with 10-12 people and no problem. Just give your room # and keep walking.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walk from solmar or playa. grande difficult?

Judy - I've walked in alone many times to spend the day with friends staying at PG. I always have their room number with me incase I get asked, but I rarely am. I'm sure there is a time that they want to have visitors gone by - but I've never stayed very late.

Hew - You can walk in with me....I'll get you in. :-)