We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time, need help in picking a place to stay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
10 posts
Save Topic
First time, need help in picking a place to stay

First of all Thanks a lot for all the wonderful tips and suggestions in the forum.

I went through at least 35 pages of them and got a lot of my questions answered.

Now, I just need some help in picking a place~~

We have never tried AI resort before so really excited about trying it. We also love good food, drinks, party, nightlife and would love to be in a place where all the action is.

I have rounded up a few places based on the reviews that I think match my requirements, please help me pick the "One"

1) Riu Santa Fe

2)Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

3)Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos

4)Riu Palace

5)Dreams

6) Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa

7)Villa Del Arco

We are super excited about trying AI and looking forward to having an amazing experience :)

Thanks again!!

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Villa del Arco and Palmar are not true AI's. They are timeshare resorts with an AI option. It's not a bad thing, but they don't leave drinks in your room. We have done the AI option at Arco and enjoyed it, but we went out for dinner most nights and a few lunches. The resorts are really nice, Arco is nicer than Palmar, and they're kept very clean, and I love the location of the Villa resorts. The restaurants in Cabo are fantastic, and I'm sure if you decide to to an AI, you'll want to go out a couple of times anyway. Can't comment on the other resorts as we haven't stayed there.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

If you're planning to go into town a lot, then definitely stay at Sandos since you can walk to everything. They just remodeled there, too.

PBSB has a shuttle into town, but if you stay out really late, expect to hire a cab back to the resort. It's not "walkable" to anywhere.

The RIU's are out on the corridor, so that's a cab ride back/forth every time you want to go into town. If you mostly plan to "party" and otherwise stay at the resort rather than going to Medano Beach and into Cabo (town), then those would be okay.

VDP & VDA are more family-oriented, IMO, and it sounds like you're going to be in a more of a party/fun mode.

I know nothing about Dreams, so can't comment.

San Francisco...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Thanks a lot, quick question about AI.

Since we have never done AI before, which one would have the best experience.

We like the idea of taking cab when we want to step out.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Al at the Riu Santa Fe and the Riu Palace includes all your meals and drinks. At the Riu Santa Fe there is a mini fridge which is filled with Beer, Soda drinks and water, which is refilled every second day. Also, on the wall above the fridge is a Mini-bar Liquor dispenser so you can make your own drinks in Room.

There is a lot of activity at the Riu Santa Fe during the day and evening, but most people head to the bars and clubs in town to party for the late evening into the early morning around 3 or 4 am.

Here are a couple of video's which will give you a visual view of the Riu Santa Fe.

360 degree view of the building 7 Beach and ocean view rooms Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas Mexico INFINITY POOL AND BEACH AREA.

http://youtu.be/503D6cMhKME

360 degree view of THE QUIET POOL at the Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas Mexico

http://youtu.be/8pJ7W-X1EJE

Si Si Si Dance lessons given as part of the Entertainment Crew's daily schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1vUK-p0Dc

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Based on both your posts, sounds like the RIU properties would be closest to what you're looking for in a resort.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

I just returned from a wedding at RIU Palace. It was a beautiful property. If you stay there you can also go to the RIU Sante Fe. Since the Palace is the higher end of the 2 properties you can go to the Sante Fe, however if you stay at the Sante Fe you cannot go to the Palace. There are liquor dispensers in the rooms along with beer and soda. 2 pools with swim up bars. The food options are buffets and 4 restaurants, a Japanese, Mexican, steak house and formal dining restaurant called the Krystal. We ate at all except the Krystal which required men to have long pants. If you want to dine at any of the restaurants make sure you reservations upon arrival as they fill up fast. Overall, I would say the food was good, the drinks plentiful and the atmosphere was fun. We booked ocean view and had a great view, some in our party booked ocean front and our room was just as nice.

It's my understanding the Sante Fe has a younger crowd. I didn't go over to the Sante Fe but some in our group did and they said it was nice.

Edited: 2:21 pm, October 19, 2013
B.C.
Level Contributor
986 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Dreams and Pacifica are really nice, but quieter than what it sounds like you are looking for. There isn't much nightlife - you would have to go into town.

Sandos is newly remodelled and sounds like a really good AI option right in the middle of the Cabo action. The RIU Palace might be what you want too. Really try to eat at least a couple of meals in town - Cabo has so many great little restaurants and bars!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,213 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

The Riu properties are the closest to being a true AI it seems................though some of the things you find in other AI's in other locations aren't available because of there being so few swimming beaches..........so you won't find the things like 'non-motorized' water sports....................Finisterra's location is excellent and I agree-try to find a couple places to try in town-there are so many excellent choices!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

We just got back from Finisterra and would highly recommend it. As mentioned, you can walk everywhere and it is a short water taxi to Lover's Beach. We walked to Medano Beach and all around town. The marina is directly across the street from the back of the hotel, Cabo Wabo a couple block walk. Perfect for couples as it is an all inclusive, with modern chic rooms, great food. A few children on site, but not many while we were there.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time, need help in picking a place to stay

Have stayed at the RIU Santa Fe and visited the RIU Palace next to it. We are RIU fans and have stayed at many of them. The vibe is very different in the two RIUs in Cabo. The SF is newer, larger, and more lively. The Palace is very, very nice but has a more "formal" and quiet feeling. Our room in the SF was near the lobby and it is a hike to the beach area. However, there is a lot of interesting stuff near the lobby, like shops, some nice pools, restaurants... You can't miss with either hotel, but you will pay quite a bit more for a Palace stay.

We did walk the beach into town from the SF, and it's not far, but it is a hike because of the nature of the sand and sloping beach. Once was enough for our "mature" legs. It is worth visiting town - some interesting bars and restaurants, shops, the marina, etc.

Have a great time! We will probably visit Cabo in February again. Right now, it's on to Jamaica at the RIU Montego Bay!

Get answers to your questions about Cabo San Lucas