We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Cabo beaches and water

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about Cabo beaches and water

My husband and I are leaving on 7/29 for a week in Cabo, and I can't wait. I just have a few questions.

I fell in love with the Caribbean several years ago, I love the fact that you can see your feet when you are in the water. I also love the soft sand and the sea breeze.

So, I have seen a couple people say that the sand is very course and hard on your feet. Is this true of all the beaches? Is there any decent snorkeling, should we take our own gear? We don't mind to pay to go out on a boat to do some decent snorkeling. Best company to use if this is necessary?

Is the water clear like the Caribbean? Is it rough like the ocean or calm like the sea?

Which beach is recommended? I see Medano (sp?) mentioned a lot, is that on the Pacific side or the Sea side?

We are staying at the RIU, but rarely go to the beach near our hotel, for some reason we are much happier lounging by the pool. Mostly b/c I don't like the sand all over me! HA And the saltwater makes me itch.

tell me anything else you think I might need to know!

Thanks for your help!

Miss Guided

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,713 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Also, what is the best seafood place? Can I get chicken or beef there? I'm allergic to shellfish, but my husband LOVES it and only eats it on occasion (mostly when we go on vacation).

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Little cove called Santa Maria beach. Green corridor bus will take you within walking distance for about $1. No facilities, few vendors. Bring own mask and snorkel, go early. It is one of the stops for snorkel cruises. Was in Matzatlan with a group, offered my oysters to the guy and he looked like I shot him, his wife was laughing all the time. She finally choked out, tell em. He was allergic to shell fish and his reaction was-his breasts enlarged. And I thought hives or itching was the only reaction.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria Beach
Santa Maria Beach
1,096 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Yikes! That must be an interesting look on a guy! HA

My mouth and throat swell, my teeth even get loose and I look like Donald Duck, I can look down and my lips stick out past my nose...I am BEAUTIFUL I'll tell you! When I'm having a reaction, I have to hide for days, I scare children! HEEHEE (all of that after my emergency room visit, of course)

Thanks for the info on snorkeling! We love it!

Are there silver shops around, like in Cancun? I want my husband to buy me a silver jewelry set. I found one in Cancun in December, but decided I would wait to see if I found something I liked better and didn't get back to the vendor to get it before it was to late and I had to get back to the hotel. :( May have missed my chance.

Are the prices on silver good?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,374 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

You won't find Cabo to be like the Carib. at all...........but it definitely has it's own special feel. The sand is not soft and white, but I haven't found it to be difficult to walk on-just hotter than the white, limestone of Cancun...........

As for silver, I will suggest you go to the Mexico Lindo store at Blvd. Marina......the little one, downstairs (next to Plaza Nautica, aka Flintstone plaza) and ask for Patty Rivera Olguin. She can direct you to the best place for silver these days, as their stores are dealing much more in gold and precious stones. I have known her since she first started with the company and I trust her completely. She has even had some pieces made for me, and she is totally honest. Omar is now there as well, and is also highly recommended and very nice to work with. I would trust them to direct me to someone I could also trust. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Ditto on the silver connection---Omar and Patty are super!!

As for beaches-I really love Lovers Beach to just hang out and enjoy. Its sometimes good for snorkling but mostly just the beauty of the rock formations all around you... I never get tired of....:-)

New york, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

The sand is hot during the day. The beach undertow is extremely strong. Please be careful. I am an experience swimmer,, and I got caught in a strong wave. I didn't know if I was face up or down. It was a scary experience. Bring an anti-diarrheal medication with you. My entire family was sick. We did not drink the tap water, so it had to be the food. We enjoyed our stay, but I have been to better places. The weather, and the beach was a plus.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
853 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Besides Santa Maria for snorkeling there is also Playa Chilleno a little further up the road which we prefer of the two. There is some shade at Chilleno and bathroom facilities. Both places have very clear water and no current to fear. I would take my own snorkel gear. You can also take boat trips to both locations.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria Beach
Santa Maria Beach
1,096 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

Missguided now that I haven't received alot of flack for the tale, I will finish it. He called his doctor the next morning when he discovered the problem. The doctor started laughing, poor guy got mad and told the doctor that he didn't think it was a laughing matter. Doctor begged forgiveness and stated he knew what was wrong. The doctor then asked "You had oysters last night didn't you. Flabergasted the guy said yes how did you know. Doc said I am also allergic to them and have the same reaction. I definitely didn't want to try them after that.

Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

HA! That's too funny! I can't say that I blame you! So much for oysters being an aphrodisiac! HA

I would definitely not choose vacation time to try something new, especially with those sorts of reactions.

My Doctor has that same bedside manner, especially after i ate lobster for the first time, he only had one question..."What the h### are you trying to do, kill yourself?"

nice, real nice? huh? I don't fool around with it.

Thanks for your help and everyone elses we are so looking forward to this trip and my husband has already said he plans to eat himself into oblivion with fresh seafood and all the fish he can get! looks like lots of chicken for me.

How's the beef in that area of Mexico? I know in the Mayan Riviera, it isn't that great.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Cabo beaches and water

There is a part three. This story was one of my favorites whenever we went with a group for seafood. Plenty guys passed up on oysters and if included in their plate they passed them around very quickly to others. It so happens that about a week after going out with one of the groups, one guy was unnerved and irritated with me so I asked what was the matter. He said that after the night out he got a little too aggresive with his wife to the point where she got annoyed. A few mornings later, he was awoken by his hands being zip tied to the head board. His wife then proceeded to force feed him oysters saying "Its about time you had your own set". Fortunately or unfortunately (whose ever side you are on) he was not allergic to them but rather discovered the other affects. Now there are a few lessons to be learned here. Men be sure to find out if you are allergic to oysters. If you are, never, I say never, let them coniving females know that you are, and during arguments don't ever let them know where you keep them zip ties. Hopefully the end.