We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight of check in bags

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
10 posts
Save Topic
Weight of check in bags

I know that there is a 50 pound weight limit for lugage that is being checked in. We have 2 kids in tow with us, so I wanted to take the least amount of luggage with us. So I crammed everything into 2 suitcases. I just weighed them and one is 56 pounds and the other is 60. Do you you think the airline might give us a hard time or will they let it slide. We are paying for 3 tickets and it states 2 bags per person at 50lbs with some exceptions??

Thank you!

Tina

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weight of check in bags

All the carriers have been cracking down and it could cost you a fair amount. It would be much safer, and leave you room to bring things home, if you took an extra bag. The over weight charges vary by carrier, but they don't tend to make a lot of exceptions these days!

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weight of check in bags

A friend of mine was only over by 5 pounds but they caught it and she luckily had a half empty carry-on bag and put stuff in there so she would not have to pay. Take another bag..The guys at the airport help us right from the curb and tipping them will be much cheaper then paying for overweight luggage. :-)

Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weight of check in bags

I agree. I've flown a lot the past few months and they are cracking down on the weights - especially since they're crabbing about the fuel prices.

Take the third suitcase. The bell caps will be happy to help you.

The excess baggage charges do vary but they're about $25 if its under 70 pounds. If you go to your airline's website it will give you the exact details of weights and charges. I think if they are over the 70 pounds, up to 100 pounds, its $100. Now that's costly.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weight of check in bags

Tina -

Alaska has a 50 lb maximum per checked bag and Mexicana has a 70 lb maximum per bag. Alaska is strict, so I would keep them to 50 lb maximum per bag.

Have Fun!

The Villages...
Level Contributor
77 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weight of check in bags

Unfortunately you are best if you keep your weight to 50# or less, I'd use 2 suitcases and one backpack to put the excess in. Going over 50# can be really $$. It all started with the baggage handlers requiring less weight ... can you figure 200+ passengers each with 2 bags at the old 70 pounds... oh my sore back....

California
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weight of check in bags

Thank you guys, I will go ahead and move some stuff to a duffle bag. You guys are the best!!

Tina

California
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weight of check in bags

Thank you guys, I will go ahead and move some stuff to a duffle bag. You guys are the best!!

Tina

Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weight of check in bags

Thanks for the reminder. In December we went to the Mayan Riviera and had to pay $100 because our luggage was overweight, they didn't charge us for the two HUGE boxes we brought w/ us, we bought a couple of bathroom sinks down there. The boxes were under 50lbs, but our luggage was overweight. I was trying to redistribute it into our carry ons, but my husband just said forget it and paid the price b/c we were never going to get it redistributed enough. They said the limit was to protect their workers, they didn't want them trying to handle bags that were to heavy and damaging them b/c they couldn't lift them.

I guess this year, bathing suits and cover-ups, a couple of sun dresses and a couple pairs of capri's and shorts will have to do it. He's already said "we are taking one suitcase and that's it" I laughed and said "that will just about cover all the shoes I need to take!" he didn't think it was that funny! heehee

Plus, if you have 2 kids and 2 adults surely you can get by with a third suitcase?

CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weight of check in bags

I thought it was 50lbs Domestic, 65lbs international.

Most airlines allow 2 checked bags, 1 personal bag, and 1 carry on bag.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weight of check in bags

I took an Alaska flight to Cabo last week and had 1 bag at 56 lbs. They rejected it until I put 6 lbs in my carry on bag. VERY STRICT. Alaska rules are 2 checked bags per person up to 50 lbs each, 1 carry on plus 1 personal item such as a purse on laptop.

Mexicana allows up to 70 lbs per checked bag.

If you are taking a fishing pole case, both airlines have allowed this at no additional charge in addition to the 2 checked bags.