We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twinrix vaccinations

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Calgary, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Twinrix vaccinations

Hi there, just a question for all you frequent cabo travelers. We will be visiting cabo at the end of September and just wondering if it is highly recommended that we get vaccinations. We will be staying at an AI but will likely have a few drinks and a meal downtown. Thanks for your input

Climax, MI
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

There is no need for vaccinations - you will be just fine eating and drinking downtown. Enjoy your trip and don't worry about it!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

There is a huge need for having these vaccinations...we all eat out at restaurants all over the world, as well as at home. These vaccinations can save your life...it is something that we all should get...and you should already have had them. You don't get them just because you are going to Cabo...you get them to save your life.

www.twinrix.ca/en/about-hepatitis-a-b.html

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

Honestly-I guess I live dangerously, but I am pretty anti vaccinations, etc........this one is something I have considered off and on, but have yet to make the decision to get it. I understand the dangers of getting Hep., but will probably continue to 'think about it' and live dangerously. As for getting it because of a Cabo trip, obviously I haven't.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

I'm the same KatD.......I have never had any kind of flue shots or vaccinations , nor do I ever get sick. My days may be numbered but it works for me. My wife on the other hand gets sick all the time and she goes for all those shots........makes me wonder. If I feel a little "off" , I take 100% pure agave , all better !

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

LOL @ Hew! Kindered spirits it seems. 100% Agave??????????

Kansas CIty...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

I have this vaccination because we travel a lot, as well as eat out at home. Anywhere someone is preparing your food, you are at risk for contracting food born illnesses and disease. From my experience you are not any more likely to get ill from restaurant food in Cabo than in the states. Like TJ said, I wouldn't get the vaccination just because you're going to Cabo, but to protect you anywhere :)

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

I agree with getting Twinrix unless you have a medical reason or I guess want to live dangerously/hope for the best. It's usually good for everyone to have Hep A and B and Tetanus shots up to date, . Here in Vancouver, Hep A has been an issue in Restaurants and food stores - It's not just for Mexico.

But I agree with some good Tequila too!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

Okay-so that 100% Agave was a ref. to tequila........not the syrup I use in my coffee! That was my guess, but not drinking my head went to sweet coffee ;)

I am definitely not saying to not get the vaccination (which seems to be more frequently used in Canada for some reason).........just saying it has become more commonly given than in 'the old days' when I was lucky enough to travel the world. Hep. seems to be a lot more prevalent in today's world, and is definitely something to think about.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

Hep A is endemic in much of the world. You can get it at home at a salad bar. Those who laugh it off are just being stupid. That is perfectly fine for them. But giving that advice to others is wrong. Hep A can cause permanent damage. Hep B...IV drug use and unprotected sex. You say you never share your works and always wear a rain coat. Here is my argument in favor of getting Hep B vaccinations. You are in some remote area in a third world country like Mexico. You have an accident. You end up in a rural clinic where either through lack of training or lack of funds through sterilization is skipped. Hep B can lead to liver cancer. BTW..get a tetanus shot.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Twinrix vaccinations

103billw............I don't think anyone here is telling others to NOT get the shots, not laughing it off. Seriously-it is def. a good idea to be cautious and I think we are aware of the possible risks. I think people are saying it isn't needed just for a Cabo trip, and it's a personal choice.

If my comment about the tequila was offensive, I'm sorry.............truly-my first thought was the sweetner, since I no longer drink.