We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

I have been following the threads on theft of even candy,shoes,sunglasses etc from hotel rooms.in different Los Cabos hotels.Being somewhat paranoid,I wanted to confirm that unlike RIU Hotels which has developed a reputation as theft ground zero,I selected the Melia Cabo Real because it had almost no reports on theft.I wanted to ask the Pros if I am being paranoid or being just cautious because I am planning to be using the following tricks I learned in Asia

I will not be using the in room safe because I know that they are easily compromised.I have bought padlocks to secure my luggage which I will lock.Any souvenirs will be inside the locked luggage.I will not leave any jewelry in the room even in locked luggage

I have a bike chain which I use to secure my day pack to a table or a solid piece of furniture whenever I am out of the hotel

I use a special alloy cable which attaches to my laptop.I use it to connect the laptop to the table of whatever table I am using

My wallet will not be in my pockets but in a harmless looking grocery bag hidden with some chips,magazines and brochures

I wanted to ask if I went over the top and should chill or go ahead as planned.Hoping for some feedback

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Yes, I think that is way overboard but you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

We always use the hotel safe, at every resort we have stayed at in Cabo and everywhere else we have traveled. I would never leave my wallet in a grocery bag. It goes in the safe along with our passports.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable so "you" can chill and have fun:))

Don't get the wallet thing though. Are you planning on carrying an "innocent" looking grocery bag around the beach and town?

We leave our laptop out on the table and unlocked suitcases but we have stayed at the same place for years and have no worries.

Go with whatever you need to relax and enjoy~

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,289 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Well, I guess I've been incredibly lucky in all my travels-not just my many Cabo trips! I can honestly say that at the Solmar Beach Club, housekeeping found a small (possibly a child's) marcasite ring when they made up the hide-a-bed a year and a half ago.........We got back to the room-saw the cart and thought it was just the turn-down service. Walked in and there were the two housekeepers, and the head security person-writing up a report to let us know that they had found the ring! We assured them it wasn't either of ours, and I gave both our wonderful housekeepers a couple pair of earrings each (after writing a note for each of them-so management/security would know they were gifts..............the staff contacted the previous guests and the ring belonged to someone in their party-it was sent back to them...............In short-If I had a rolex I feel I could leave it on the bed-side table and it would remain there, but security at the Solmar properties is unusually good............but I'm sure there can be a bad apple in every basket at some time or another...........if you feel the need to secure things to be comfortable, then I guess what you are planning works for you..............I just hope you are able to relax and enjoy Baja!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
B.C.
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

We have used the safe in many travels including Cabo. We haven't ever done the extra things you are talking about. Sometimes my kindle or laptop are left out and nothing has happened. I bring a small purse and my husband uses his wallet as usual. I don't wear much jewellery anyways, but anything expensive should stay home. We have never stayed at Melia or Riu but I'm sure we wouldn't change what we do. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but we have never had anything to worry about.

I think it's good to be cautious and aware just like anywhere at home. I've heard of ladies using a bike lock to secure their purse to a grocery cart here in Canada. I can't imagine worrying that much. Everyone has to do what makes them feel safe!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Thanks very much for your advise.I will forget about the grocery bag and skip the laptop cable.I probably will just stick to double locking the luggage and the bike chain to secure my day pack when I am out.The grocery bag trick comes from Asia .When you are robbed at knife or gun point you hand over a dummy wallet with expired credit cards and maybe 20$ in small bills.Your real stash is hidden away.But I guess this doesnt apply to Cabo.Though if I was staying in the RIU based on the negative reviews.I might even bring my own safe.JOKE

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

The best thing to do is leave anything valuable at home. I bring a cheap pair of sunglasses, etc. And unless you're planning to do work while on vacation, leave the laptop at home. If you just want to send some emails or check your Facebook acct. while on vacation, go to an internet cafe and do that.

I always strip my wallet before leaving on vacation. I take out everything except a single credit card, my license, and whatever money I'm bringing. I do use the hotel safes. I bring envelopes with me. I seal the money in an envelope and write the amount on the top. When I take $ out, then I reseal the balance in a new envelope and write the new balance on top of it. So, if someone were to steal any $$, they'd have to take the entire envelope which would be far more obvious than if they pulled a $20 out of it.

I make a point of tipping the maids very well. I think when you tip well every day (not once at the end of the trip), any maids who are tempted to steal probably won't. Or, they'll steal from the cheapskate in the room down the hall from you who doesn't tip them.

I've not had any real problems with stealing while in Cabo. I did have stuff stolen in Mazatlan, as well as in the Bahamas. No big deal, just some silver jewelry (that I bought in Cabo, ha ha).

But you do whatever will give you peace of mind while on vacation. But try not to overdo it to the point where all you're thinking about on vacation is how to prevent stuff from getting stolen. Life's too short.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
996 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

We've been going to Cabo for 15 years and have never had any issues with theft. We use the safe in the room for all our extra cash, jewerly, passports and occassionally a camera if we're not carrying it around with us. We also leave our laptops out on the table. I don't carry a wallet with me when I'm down there, generally just have cash and a debt card in my pocket. (usually it's a zip or button pocket) That is pretty much it, but I guess it depends on what resort you stay at, I can only tell you our experiences at Playa Grande.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
641 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Yes, I think you are pretty much overboard on your proposed security measures. The primary thing that I would pay close attention to = if in a bar, outdoor restaurant, etc keep a very close eye on your pack, purse or diddy bag that contains anything valuable. Especially if you are engaged in conversation with a street jewelry seller, a chicklet kid, etc.....

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Wow....I would have never thought of all that. I know RIU has had a lot of past problems...not sure I've read of anything major theft events lately. Maybe they cleaned house of the riffraff they had employed. I'm with the others....leave the laptop out (to charge), if not, I put it in the safe with passports and extra money. I put my backpack in the closet although nothing in it during my stay. My purse is with strap across my shoulder (as you can see in my pic) so never set it down. Don't even lock my luggage in room. I agree with tipping the maids daily, helps to let them know you appreciate them. I've left coins on the table that have never disappeared, also left tip money out that maid didn't pick up. You've traveled many places and have had experiences that have taught you how to be safe....so if that works for you...you have to be comfortable to enjoy your stay.

Edited: 11:08 am, August 19, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,275 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anti Theft measuresl in Los Cabos Did I go overboard??

Wow!

I feel that I have a lot of common sense. Generally that is what I use whether I'm traveling or at home. So far my track record us pretty good. Because of it I spend zero time worrying about theft, crime, etc. I trust my instincts.