We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Ocean - Danger

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Ocean - Danger

Just returned a few hours ago from 11 great days in Cabo. We stayed at Solmar and had a wonderful time. On Monday evening we were enjoying a beautiful sunset on the beach - best the whole trip. Enjoying watching the enormous waves and talking with various people on the beach about what a beautiful evening it was and how the waves have been unbelievable. An elderly couple passed us taking photo on a walk to Playa Grande and on their way back we said hello and they smiled. Unfortunately, once they got back in front of GS - we witness a huge wave hit the beach and swept a person out ... others ran out and another huge wave it. It was horrifying and many were screaming. The result - luckily only ONE person lost their life...could have been worse with the people trying to save her. The elderly couple we had just said hi to were too close to the ocean and she was swept out. They did recover her body finally the following morning.

I want to make new people going to Cabo aware that the ocean is NOT a safe place and when you see signs posted and people warning you how dangerous - PLEASE listen. We witnessed several people in the 10 days, get into trouble because of the large waves...unfortunately, no one was able to help that lady and she died.

The people at Solmar are not to blame, Cabo is not to blame....only people that refuse to listen. My heart aches for the unfortunate husband that has to go home without a wife, the brave people who risk their lifes and were unable to save the lady and all of the people that witnessed her being suck into the ocean.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

Such sad news. My heartfelt condolences to the family.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

The boat ride is fine .

chicago
Level Contributor
868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

How sad.... my heart goes out to this family. Reminds us that all can be lost in just an instant......

and how horrible for those that saw it happen......I pray for their peace, too.

Stay away from the water ~

Midwest
Level Contributor
562 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

I think that is a good reminder for everyone going to Cabo--the beach/ocean look so invited over there.

I hope you are ok, I know that must have been jarring.

My thoughts and prayers for the family. Too sad!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

Adding my sympathy for the family. How incredibly sad when these things happen, and they certainly do all too often. I've been so lucky, as the couple of people I've seen get 'caught' in those waves were rescued-thank God!

We need to continue to remind visitors of these dangers, so thank you Tig! I don't think the dangers can be stressed enough, as people just don't realize how easy it is for one of those waves to be 'extra huge' and simply sweep them away. Heartbreaking.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

What a sad thing to witness, my sympathy to you and all the families involved. My heart breaks for the husband...

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

What a terrible thing to have to witness or be a part of. Away on an incredible vacation to have a loss like this is dreadful. All the best to the family involved......

The Pacific side is very dangerous.....especially along Solmar Beach. With the new resort so close to the water now , you have very little room to walk safely. If you really need to walk the beach , use Medano Beach on the Sea of Cortez side. We hear of far too many people going down like this. 1 is too many. Please pay attention to the signs that warn about all of this. Mother Nature can be unforgiving..........

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

I have sat at the Grand Solmar and watched people try to get pictures of the waves crashing along the beach. I am so sorry to hear about this and please people respect that stretch of beach, while beautiful it is also deadly.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

There was one day they even had restrictions on Medano Beach because of the high waves. Red Flag warnings! Not something to take lightly.

One evening a group of guys that were pretty intoxicated were on the beach & one of the guys was in the water. Everyone was letting them know how dangerous it was and not allowed. They laughed and said "Oh he's an Olympic swimmer". The guards finally got him to get out of the water.

20. Re: Pacific Ocean - Danger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 03, 2014