We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Diving question

Greetings everyone!

Heading back to Cabo sometime in December. I reached out to a dive operator, and they stated that December is a transition month for diving in Cabo. Specifically, I was inquiring about diving Cabo Pulmo or whale snorkeling in La Paz.

That being said, is there a better time to dive in December? First half, middle, late, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving question

The challenge with Cabo is that it's always changing, and even in the summer, the water is pretty cold. We dove last week, and vis was not much better than 30 feet.

I would recommend you ping Dee over at Baja Dive. He's been in Cabo for years and runs a very good operation. www.scubadivingcabosanlucas.net/index.html

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving question

If you're hoping (I say hoping because December is pushing it) to go to Cabo Pulmo, your best chance would be early December. Also, December is when the water starts getting cold so if you're looking for warm water, early December.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving question

Thank you, so it sounds like diving isn't great late December. I don't care about temps (thats what suits are for) so much as I care to dive with large pelagics.

Will the whale sharks be around in La Paz in December?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving question

Send a private message to CaboTicket. He knows the scoop on scuba :-)

Whale sharks are in La Paz from Dec to March. I would contact a tour operator in La Paz to get their advice of their prevalence in December.

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving question

december is a good month, at the moment the water is 80 on the surface, and by mid august, the thermocline will drop below 120 feet and it will be mid 80's all the way. very warm, and generally clear. by december, the cooler currents start, and the fish life take advantage of the conditions to feed up. the whale sharks are active in la paz all december. there is no diving with them, its just snorkel. awesome experience. we also have gordo banks. this is the most advanced dive for the region. but can be rewarded with schooling hammerheads and whale sharks, even manta rays. cabo pulmo is full of life. the north winds will pick up towards the end of the month. the water will be warm, and full of fish! as for the local bay. the water will be warm at the start of the month, high 70's, and gradually dropping, by about mid dec, we will get the wetsuits out, mainly due to the winds that pick up off the cooler pacific side.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving question

Thanks CT! While I do not consider myself a novice, I don't know that I am advanced enough for Gordo Banks.

I most recently dove in Cozumel and had no issues with the swift currents. I am relatively young and in very good physical shape. I know the dives are quite different from one another, but is this something you would recommend?

For the whale shark snorkeling, do you have an excursion up to La Paz or can you recommend someone?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

7. Re: Diving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 01, 2014